Incidence of Breast Cancer in White Women

Table 2. Female Breast Cancer Incidence and Death Rates

Breast
Racial/Ethnic Group Incidence Death
All 127.8 25.5
African American/Black 118.3 33.8
Asian/Pacific Islander   89.0 12.6
Hispanic/Latino   89.3 16.1
American Indian/Alaska Native   69.8 16.1
White 132.5 25.0

Statistics are for 2000-2004, age-adjusted to the 2000 U.S. standard million population, and represent the number of new cases of invasive cancer and deaths per year per 100,000 women.*

From the figure above constructed by the National Cancer Institute, white women have the highest incidence rate of breast cancer among all other ethnicities of women. To clarify the incidence of a disease such as breast cancer is the rate at which new cases in cancer develop. The incidence of breast cancer is known to increase with age. Any women over the age of forty has an increased risk for development of that risk white women have an even greater incident risk, with the median age being sixty one years old. Although white women have the highest incidence overall their overall mortality rate is lower collectively. Geographical location within the United States also affected the incidence and mortality rating of the disease. In the United States the West, Midwest and South have the highest mortality rate for breast cancer amongst white women. The disparity could be related to many varying aspects of lifestyle and genetics. Amongst these women categorized they may have had an increased exposure to some form of radiation of mutagen in the environment in which they live. Lifestyle such as eating habits and exercise can impact the activation of the disease which can be related to socioeconomic status. But generally speaking socioeconomic status was not a factor for white women are the least at risk based on economics and accessibility to healthcare. Most importantly, family history and genetics should be considered those patients who have a mother, sister or grandmother that have suffered from the disease could genetically be more predisposed in addition to the higher incident rate. It was recently discovered that carriers of the BRCA gene mutation produced proteins that would be sustainable for mutating into breast cancer.  Everyone has these genes but the mutation is what poses the risk. From these statistics Jewish women have a higher prevalence for these gene mutations.

National Cancer Institute. “Cancer Health Disparities.” Accessed July 12, 2013. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/disparities/cancer-health-disparities

Susan B. Komen. “Breast Cancer Statistics.” Accessed July 12, 2013. http://ww5.komen.org/breastcancer/statistics.html

1. Danielle Gittleman says:

For breast cancer, I think that I would agree with you that genetics is a huge determining factor on whether someone is mor susceptible to the disease. I chose to write about melanoma and I actually said that genetics didn’t have very much to do with whether you got the illness or not because there are so many preventative measures that you can take against skin cancer. That leads me to point out that genetics may affect one disease but may but be a huge factor in another. If I had not read other posts I guess that I would not have been able to make that distinction. After reading your post I was wondering what you thought about race and breast cancer, because you did not mention it. In the movie we watched this week, the researchers came to the conclusion that race was not really the deciding factor, but it was socioeconomic status. For breast cancer, would you say that it’s all genetics or would race have something to do with it too? I don’t think that the three terms, race, genetics, and health, are completely intertwined and I believe that your post did a good job of showing that.