Male Postpartum Depression

Male Postpartum depression is an illness that affects up to 10.4% of dads with newborn babies. Postpartum depression predominantly occurs in mothers of newborns, but the article “Depression in Men: A Dad’s Story of Male Postpartum Depression” explains that if one parent suffers from this depression, it is common for the other parent to also be suffering from it. ┬áThis depression gives the fathers feelings of inadequacy as a parent, helplessness and confusion. Not only does it have negative affects on the parent, but it can also have negative affects on the growth and development of the baby. The signs of male postpartum depression differs from the signs of female postpartum depression. New mothers often feel sad and spend a lot of time crying for a reason they can’t explain. New fathers find themselves overworking themselves, losing interest in sex and becoming impulsive. These signs are a lot harder to pick out than the female signs, which means males aren’t diagnosed with postpartum depression as often as females. Our culture looks down on women who have this illness and classify them as lazy or incapable of being good mothers. When men are diagnosed, culture looks down on them and believe them to be weak and incapable of being good fathers. The harsh judgements of society are from those who don’t realize that this is a real illness. Men struggling with this depression can often take antidepressants to relieve their feelings of helplessness and confusion. As much as society may judge and look down upon men and women who have postpartum depression, this real illness calls for real treatment, either holistically or with meds, because if left untreated it can really have a negative impact on the growth and development of the baby.

I think this judgement from society about males with this depression being inadequate fathers leads these men to try and hide their feelings and not seek treatment. Culture and how culture perceives these men leads to fathers with postpartum depression thinking of themselves as weak and embarrassed to seek treatment. Thus, many men and even women with postpartum depression often times keep it to themselves and wait for it to go away rather than attending counseling or taking medicine.

I believe that belief is strongly connected to healing. Whenever I get sick, I don’t usually take medicine for it. I usually ignore it and wait for it to go away. I think to myself that I’m getting better and it seems that it sometimes works. Also, whenever I used to fake sick in high school and earlier, I tried to convince myself to seem sick and then I would usually start feeling pretty sick and nauseous. From my own personal experiences, I truly think that belief is strongly connected to healing processes. The most interesting part for me in the placebo video was the placebo surgery. It’s crazy that if someone believes they really are healed, they will start feeling better. I don’t have any doubts about the powers of placebos.