Chronic Pain

Pain, is a physical suffering from illness or injury. This this is the neurological response the brain has to discomfort and injury, it’s your body’s way of telling you to take care and stop what you’re doing. You break your back; you feel instant pain at the time of the break. With serious injuries like these, the body can feel pain until the body heals properly. Sometimes pain can be long lasting beyond the period of healing and it can last from 3 to 6 months. This is characterized as chronic pain. Chronic pain can almost be crippling and damaging for everyday life. Everyday tasks can become taxing and difficult; when chronic pain is involved patients often quit doing the things they love. They start to associate them with the pain and stop. After all that’s the body’s natural response to pain of that nature, is to seek relief. This can be done through medication. Generally, surgery and pain killers are popular ways to relieve this pain. I have my own experiences with chronic pain, localized in the back. My doctor tells me that I have a pinched nerve in my lower back and this has been a taxing experience for me. The best way for me to relieve it would be through surgical means but that may never happen. Without the means of surgery, my only other way of relieving the pain is through pain killers, prescription and over the counter medications: Drugs like Advil, Aleve, and ibuprofen. Sadly, these are temporary and don’t permanently eliminate the pain. I regularly take these medications for the relief, and I notice the difference. I need these medications to go through my day with no pain, so I can do the things I love and not be discouraged by the pain. Chronic pain is no joke; it’s a monster of its own and can cripple anyone. Don’t take it lightly, I don’t.

1. Tyler Kavanagh says:

Hey Moe, first off great reflection post and description of the issue on Chronic Pain. I too agree with you in that in our culture the best way to attack pain is that through medical intervention whether that be surgically or pharmacologically. Our culture has pretty much became accustomed to just say “ah my body is aching today”, and just snag some ibuprofen or something along those lines without even thinking. And as you said this may seem to work for the time being but the fact that it is chronic pain makes it a lot more difficult to cure, and with our culture here using western medicine surgical intervention is the most likely way to go about this. My mom actually had lower back surgery in which she had two disks fused, and now she seems to be doing better. Another way of intervening chronic pain used within the US is through physical therapy and rehabilitation. Even though this is a lot of work and they really push your body to the limits, it does help some people and then again it doesn’t help others. With pain being a subjective thing (some people being able to handle more or less) and based a simple number scale made up from your prior experiences with pain, that ultimately decides what ways of intervention you may choose. Like I said with my mom she obviously couldn’t take it anymore and opted for the surgery, which turned out to be a good choice thankfully.

2. Taylor Young says:

Hey Moe,
    I definitely agree with you and Tyler when you both said the best way to alleviate pain is via medical intervention. Chronic pain is much more common than you think. Many people suffer from it every day. I think our culture’s most popular way of dealing with chronic pain is through the use of pain relievers such as ibuprofen, Advil, and Aleve just to name a few. We’re constantly introduced to these medications through different sources such as commercials on TV, ads in magazines and newspapers, and even through small coupons in the mail. Our culture not only uses these medications to temporarily alleviate the pain, it also participates in surgeries. Surgery may not always be the top choice when considering ways to reduce chronic pain, but more often than not, it is an option. Personally I believe that because we live in such a fast paced society and many of us are impatient as individuals, we need to have a quick temporary fix to chronic pain such as using medications like Advil and ibuprofen. It’s much easier and convenient to “pop a couple pills” and temporarily ease some of the pain then have to go through the taxing process of surgery and then recovery which may or may not involve physical therapy. Great post Moe!

3. Joseph Wallace says:

Hey Moe,

Great post, I enjoyed reading about chronic pain and agree with everything that you had to say. The concept of pain has always intrigued me, and I have always thought about the ways that different people tolerate pain. Although I agree with Tyler and think that our society often overlooks pain and quickly resorts to easy temporary pain killers, I too think that chronic pain is no joke and cannot be taken lightly, as you said. You said that surgery may never happen for you, and this prompted me to ponder why. Although I do not know your particular circumstances, I can see why surgery for people in our society would often not be a favorable option (school, work, finances). I too experience chronic pain localized in the back, and surgery is pretty much the only way to deal with it other than the typical pain killers. Each day is a new day to get through and I feel your pain (no pun intended) with the difficulty of accomplishing this without medication. I believe that everyday tasks are factors that can have an influence on perception of pain. For example, being a student and all, I know that if I have a lot going on and must accomplish something I attempt to put the pain aside and accomplish my goal. Thus, I think that pain is greatly influenced by friends, family, and people’s different surroundings.