Post- Partum Depression

Post- partum depression is a type of depression that new mothers or fathers can have after the birth of a child. The symptoms include changes in relationships, lack of sleep, and worry about ones ability as a parent. It was discussed in the first lecture how health care professionals state post- partum depression can be caused by hormonal imbalances in the brain. A cultural view of this condition is that it is simply an excuse for mother’s who are too lazy and irresponsible to take care of their children. Many are skeptical of this condition due to the fact that there is not a measurable test for it, it’s only based on a woman’s ability to talk about her suffering and the health care professional’s willingness to acknowledge and legitimize it. Personally, I believe that the cultural stigma that arises from admitting one has this condition is a big influence on how people manage and decided to treat it. Most probably do not want to admit they have this condition and therefore they are not going to be willing to treat it. I also believe that there is a strong correlation between belief and healing. The example of the arthroscopic knee surgeries in the placebo code video are great and interesting example of the power of placebo and the strong correlation between belief and healing. The doctor’s performing the surgeries went through all of the motions of the surgery, gave the patient anesthesia, had all surgical instruments out, and even had a video of a knee surgery playing in the operating room. They did everything but actually operate on the knee, and from the patient believing he had had the surgery and that he went through everything, his knee had healed just as well if not better than some of the actual arthroscopic knee surgeries. A personal example of how the power of belief effects healing is when I dislocated my knee cap when I was 15. I went to the doctors and they told me I wasn’t going to be able to play basketball for about eight or nine months. I was so bummed out but I kept attending physical therapy, followed all my doctor’s instructions, and kept thinking how great it was going to be and how I couldn’t wait to get back on the court. I knew that if I did everything I was supposed to do then everything would end up just fine, and about five months later I was ready to run some plays with my teammates.

1. Molly DeMarr says:

Interesting post topic, I haven’t heard too much about paternal PPD but I like that you generalized and covered both maternal and paternal Post Partum Depression. I have always understood how mother’s can have this type of depression but have never really thought about how father’s could have it as well. I used to have the misconception that mother’s experienced this when they are to separate from their newborns but now understand the real symptoms of PPD. As more and more people begin to understand and experience PPD, I feel that in our culture it becomes more accepted. I also think that it is most likely harder for males to deal with PPD because in our culture masculinity comes with the stereotype of being “tough” and sensitivity isn’t necessarily embraced when it comes to males. It saddens me that emotional disorders and eating disorders are so heavily influenced by the American society. Individuals feel pressured to fit this image. Women are supposed to be incredibly thin and they are supposed to openly express their emotions. Meanwhile, men are supposed to be tough, muscular, athletic and insensitive. America needs to embrace the fact that self-consciousness of the body and mind leads individuals to unhealthy disorders that could be easily avoidable.