True Life: I have Orthorexia

In the true life episode “True Life: I have Orthorexia” three peoples stories are told about their problems with food.  They live a life of fear of unhealthy and junk food.  All three of the candidates being followed have an obsession with food that is a problem they admit to and want to get better. The type of narrative is a Quest narrative as Andrew, Spring, and Lauren are on a quest for their health.  The all have sought out help for their problem including therapy and seeing a professional nutritionist.  In our culture today people develop obsessions, and in this case the obsession is with avoiding food that these people believe are bad for them.  The stigma towards this disease is an over obsession with eating healthy.  We see at the end of the episode that all three; Andrew, Spring, and Lauren take responsibility for their health and improve their diet.

Illness narratives can be beneficial to patients, families, and healthcare providers.  They allow patients to tell their story, for families to be comforted and for healthcare providers to feel more connected.  The lecture this week explained how illness narratives are beneficial to the story teller as well as the person listening.  They allow the teller to accept and be more comfortable and secure of what is going on. They may be able to they also allow for the listener to learn and also be more comfortable with the situation.  Illness narratives are a very important bridge for healthcare workers and patients.

In the article about Fibromyalgia, the woman that was experiencing the illness personally narrated her experience.  The personal narration made me feel connected and kept me interested in the article because I felt like I was directly listening to the ill person tell me their story.  Narratives are a great bridge for those suffering and those trying to understand.