ADHD

ADHD has become a huge part of our every day lives.  As a college student, I am constantly surrounded by people who take a multitude of different medications to keep themselves focused on the demanding school life we all live today.  In the article written by Conrad and Potter, they explain the many ways that ADHD can manifest in our society.  Because it has become such a common diagnosis for young students, it serves as a good excuse for not being about to finish or even get started on homework and every day obligations.  However, on the other end of this, I have a sister who has ADHD.  I do believe there is a difference between those that just can’t focus and those who actually suffer from ADHD.  I can tell you that my sister is a completely different person if she doesn’t take her medication in the morning.  If she didn’t take her meds she is unfocused, hyper, and distracted and it sure does get in the way of her every day life.  Some people DO need medication, but I think that way to many people abuse the medications that are offered for ADHD.

The article that I found explains the importance of medication in an ADHD child.  It gives all of the pros of these medications on learning abilities and life in school.   It really is focused at the parents which I guess is kind of interesting.  If you think about it, no young child is going to walk up to their mother of father and explain to them that they have ADHD.  For the most part, the medications that these parents have given to their children has labeled them as a distracted, hyper, ADHD child.  As that child grows up they will rely on the medication to focus instead of relying on their own capabilities to succeed within an educational setting.

1. Keiana Smith says:

Danielle, I totally agree with you that nowadays since ADHD has become so commericialized that people use it as a scapegoat for the reason they cannot focus and concentrate. We all know that this type of abuse of medicine and behavior makes it bad for the people who really need to take the medicine to be productive. I probably should not share this with a total stranger, but I will anyway because it will help to prove the theory of abuse. My cousin’s daughter is taking Ritalin for “supposed” ADHD. She claims that the reason her daughter cannot focus is because her attention span is very short. I can tell you first hand that this is not true. I have helped to raise my cousin’s daughter when she was at a younger age and nothing says that this child suffers with ADHD. She is very smart, bright, and articulate. However, now that she is a teenager and her grades are not what they should be in school, my cousin wants to blame it on her not being able to keep focused so she must be ADHD. It’s sad that so many children have parents that are quick to blame their children’s behavior (i.e. low grades in school, bad attitudes and loud outbursts, not focusing on one task at a time, not being attentive) on ADHD since the media and pharmaceutical companies have ran with the notion that if you cannot focus and pay attention you suffer with ADHD. Parents look to this for a “quick fix” to solve the problems of their children’s behavior, when in fact, it something much deeper. I’m so sorry that your sister suffers with ADHD because I almost feel like people with a true diagnosis are “prisoners” in their own minds. They really want to concentrate and focus but they cannot. It is horrible that ADHD is a biomedicalization in our society and used as an excuse for everyone’s problem. Nobody looks at people just simply being stressed out or just don’t have the ability to be focused. This was a good posting and advertisment. Keep up the good work!

2. Chase Taylor says:

Danielle, this was a very insightful article and very informative on a cultural perspective of ADHD medication. I think it’s very interesting how they went right to the parents while using the concept of general health (sleep, eating, etc) for their children involving this disorder. As Conrad pointed out I think it’s very interesting how a group of symptoms have been slowly medicalized over the years into the category of a “disease” in this case ADHD. I think at times people just need a logical explanation for issues and by grouping things like hyper children and disinterest in activities considered to be important parents are able to rationalize medication. Our culture puts a strong emphasis on uniformity especially at a young and developing age which is where “ADHD” children find themselves. I also have no doubt that the emergence of ADHD allowed drug companies and developers to create a brand new host of drugs for treatment. Emerging markets are incredibly valuable especially one in which at least some of the symptoms can be found in the vast majority of all children. Add in the fact that politics is always attempting to look for a solution to problems (real or imagined) and you find yourself presented with the ADHD epidemic of the 90’s.

3. Aaron Schmidt says:

I agree that it is hard nowadays to tell the difference between people who have ADHD, and those who are lazy or don’t want to do homework or other things. Our American culture is very concerned with education. This requires a lot of mental focus that people have never really experienced in history. People have learned a lot in the last 100 years, so school becomes longer and more challenging every year as we understand more and more things. Some people may not be able to handle the stress of college because they are hyperactive and get distracted easily. They can get medication to treat this, and they called it Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. It is extremely hard to tell the difference between those with ADHD and those without it. There have been a lot of arguments that this disorder doesn’t really exist at all. We can see symptoms of ADHD in any child, and because commercials and media say if you have the symptoms, you might have ADHD, we can be quick to diagnose this disorder. This is similar to Conrad’s point of normal symptoms, like bad behavior in a child, eventually turning into a disorder, like ADHD.

4. Meghan Kinter says:

There is a lot of controversy over whether or not ADHD is an actual medical condition. As mentioned in your post, I do agree that for some, ADHD is just an excuse for being lazy, and unmotivated. Which are two personal problems that can be corrected by better habits. But I also agree as stated in the article that I truly believe some people do have a mental issue concentrating on one thing at a time and becoming easily distracted and its not a matter of simply a bad habit or just being lazy. Many of my fellow collegues that depend on medication for ADD or ADHD most definitely don’t have the disorder just use the medication as an easy solution for their lack of self motivation but there are some that I feel could not live without it. I think that our culture would be a huge force on the reframing of this condition as an illness. Its a potion, a combination of factors; our culture has placed high value on education so now there is a pressure to do well in school,and technology is also a factor with all the newest computers, tablets and other advanced devices we are used to having facts and information at the click of a button this creates impatience for tasks that actually take time and effort something we aren’t used to anymore. So instead of focusing on what has actually caused our lack of interest we just once again look for the fast, simple solution creating an “illness” and begin prescribing mediations.

5. pucket10 says:

Danielle, this is a very interesting subject as ADHD has become a major contributor to pharmaceutical companies and the profitable market that they are in. There are relatively easy excuses in order to obtain this drug and with the development of children being a large factor as well it makes it all the easier to do so. As there is much emphasis on graduating high school as well as college, it is an even bigger focus to attempt to aid children and young adults to do the best that they can. I believe that it is a bit excessive for some people to take the dosage that is prescribed as I feel that it can also lead to abuse of the drug as well as habitual addiction. There have been people doing absolutely fine for years now without the help of these drugs and there are millions that still do not use them and do fine. On the other hand, there are children and young adults that definitely do benefit from such drugs, however I feel that more often than not it is purely for the sake of motivation. It is a sensitive topic as it is difficult for a doctor or physician to really understand if the person is in need. I know that there are plenty of people misusing this drug, but it is a shame for those who are actually in need. Like conrad mentions, there are these attitudes and behaviors that can become a disorder, however I feel that it is quite difficult to discern between them.

6. Anthony Jurayj says:

As stated, ADHD is not an easy condition to diagnose. I think that many people have a slight case of ADHD, and other have more severe cases. That is why ADHD is considered to be on a spectrum, and everyone falls under some spot on that spectrum. The issue is the remedy. The expectation to find a cure that works and to fix the issue with no side effects is the problems. The immediacy that we expect is the problem, when really it is a slow process that takes time and effort on the patient as well as the community helping them. Also, as stated above, the demand on education has increased drastically. The amount of work students need to put in for homework, social lives, work, school and other miscellaneous activities leaves little time for sleep. Drugs like adderol and even caffeine have become a daily part on many students lives. This routine is draining, and can lead to lack of focus in many peoples lives. Other cultures may work just as hard, but some may have a more relaxed and maybe even less demanding atmosphere. Also, the regiment prescribed by many doctors, to take medications for adderol everyday, seem very extreme and unnecessary. Again, it is a habit that can be broken with hard work and effort.