Life/Death

Our lecture for this week discusses the culture of biomedicine.  As stated in the lecture, biomedicine has many different names: Western medicine, allopatric medicine, or just plain medicine.  American medicine is very reliant on our hospitals and our doctors.  Hospitals serve as a teaching environment for all the new-coming doctors.  On the topic of life and death, I have a very strong opinion on what these define.  The debate on life and death has been ongoing for such a long time.  I truly believe that if the patient has no brain activity (as mentioned in the lecture) their quality of life has plummeted.  There is no turning back from it and I think that it could be considered death, even if machines are keeping that person alive.  The debate on abortion is a little more complicated and, for arguments sake, i’m not gonna go there.  But when does life start?  What came first: the chicken or the egg?  These are questions that so many people ask themselves and, honestly, i don’t think there is a right answer.  Although right now i may think that life ends when brain death is a factor, there could be a time where I don’t feel that way anymore.  It all depends on your culture, where you’re from, and who your surrounded by.  Life and death dichotomy is not as simple as scientific fact.  It involves more systems of moral and its accepted in this culture because it is something that many people have to deal with every day.   Not only do people have to make life or death decisions for themselves but there are situations where they need to make them for mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters.  Unfortunately these thoughts and decisions are a part of medicine that we can’t ignore and for that reason we have to accept it.