Clinical Medical Anthropology

I chose clinical medical anthropology because this intersection is very interesting and I love the idea of Anthropology being applied in a clinical setting. I also have an avid in interest in the clinical setting for a variety of reasons. The first reason is because I currently work in a clinical setting and anthropology can be seen in play constantly at work. Cultural influences can be seen through a wide variety of my patients and are affected by factors including economic status as well the areas in which my patients have grown up. Patients have notably different attitude towards the MRI, doctors, and treatments offered with some patients who have used healthcare all their lives being extremely comfortable while other patients from lower socio-economic status openly fearful of medical care. This is just one of many examples of anthropology in action that I view at work every day. I also have a great interest in clinical medical anthropology because in my future I hope to design and research drugs that will be used by people of different backgrounds, cultures, social statues, and varying levels of education. I have to ask myself the question of what I research, who will use this?, how will it be used? What groups off patients will need this the most and will they be able to afford it?. In my opinion clinical medical anthropology is all about looking outside the basic medical information and seeing the connections to other facets of life. I imagine myself working for a nurse in the clinical field and I must consider a many facts while preparing my patient for surgery. Questions like whether or not my patient has a deep cultural fear of the medical industry or what types of treatment has my patient had in the past that may not originate from the biomedical society. As seen earlier in the course work, some patients from other countries may have paid less in the past or perhaps even waited far longer for their medical treatment.