Global Health and Medical Anthropology

I chose this area of applied medical anthropology to investigate because this is something I really am interested in. Hopefully soon after I graduate id is able to travel overseas to underdeveloped countries and help the locals there. This area interests me because you can help educate some of certain issues about particular topics. If I was to help overseas and helping doctors, nurses and other companies it is nice to get another view on a particular issue. For example, if we take a look by an anthropologic way we can be able to study the science of people. We would be able to look at the way they work, eat and live. Here we can educate the community on public health and give some pointers with health programs and conduct different methods and approaches on the way of life based on their day to day lifestyle. This approach can help us gain knowledge to provide information to these undeveloped areas and help them control issues. A couple of major issues in Africa are Malaria and HIV/AIDS. Within these undeveloped areas, if we just educate them on ways to control the issue and slow down the spreading rate, it is just a step closer of helping them out. With the doctors there as well helping out, we can be able to bring some medicine and techniques over there with the help of the anthropology approach we can combine these help lessen the issue slowly but somewhat surely. To help the prevention of certain issues or epidemics is amazing if we can start somewhere and leading to helping a bigger scale, essentially to get to a point to where we are affecting people and educating them on a much larger worldwide scale. Working hand in hand with doctors and nurses and other researchers along with other anthropologists we can start somewhere in making a difference and helping the underdeveloped.

1. Molly DeMarr says:

Moe,
    I too chose global health and medical anthropology. I feel that your ideas of combining the knowledge of doctors and nurses and taking that outside of our westernized countries in order to help/cure epidemics across the world is fantastic. And I liked that to pointed out the fact that we must be aware of their culture and practices when implementing health programs. I think an important part of this is determining the length of stay of those aiding the area in need. I feel that this is important so that the area can have time to learn the skills and ways of the doctors in hopes that they can take away knowledge on upkeep of their newly found health/clean facilities/etc. In one of our videos from lecture, a westernized group of people went into a third world country and implemented clean facilities with clean water etc, and then left once the job was done. Thus leaving the natives with no knowledge of upkeep and when those who came to aid came back, the facility was warn down and abandoned. Those who helped never explained the possibility of problems with the facility so the natives did not know where to even begin with repairs, thus leaving the natives back at square one. Therefore, if aid is provided to areas in need, I feel that the length of stay really must be considered in the proposed plan of action.
    Molly