Florida bound

Hello everyone! My name is Jenny Hallesy, and I am a senior studying Human Biology in hopes of one day becoming a PA (physician’s assistant). I was fortunate enough to be able to walk across the stage in May and come August 14th, I will officially be an MSU alumni. As of right now, my goal as far as graduate school is to attend the PA masters program at the University of South Florida next Fall. I am taking this course not only as an elective, but also to better educate myself on how medicine differs among other cultures. I believe this knowledge will greatly benefit me one day when it comes to catering to the needs of patients that come from different cultures.

Maleki

The picture I included is of my dog Maleki (Malachi) and I am absolutely crazy about him. I bought him 6 years ago when I was 16 and I still consider that one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Unfortunately, due to my lease, I haven’t been able to keep him here at school with me but I do find time to bring him to stay with me for a week every couple of months. I love being outdoors, so it’s great having a companion whenever I feel like going to the park, walking the nature trails at the beach, or camping up north. While I could go on for hours being the crazy lady that always talks about her dog, I’ll try to cut it short. The reason I decided to tell you about Maleki is because he is one of the most important parts of my life. Whenever the stress from school starts to become a little overwhelming, I know that all I have to do is head home for the weekend to get a little dog therapy. Having him around has truly made my college career more manageable.

1. Taz Karim says:

Hi Jenny – congratulations on being accepted into graduate school! Florida will definitely be a change from Michigan but hopefully a positive one for you. I think the idea of dog therapy is awesome – one of the videos in the course talks about horse therapy which might be of interest to you. Anyhow, welcome to the course!

2. Colleen Drabek says:

Hi Jenny!
    I’m currently in FL at PCB! You are so lucky to go to graduate school down here! I also love the picture of your dog! He’s adorable!

3. Jenny Hallesy says:

Oh no! I’m so sorry I wasn’t more specific. My goal is to attend USF, but I still have to take the GRE to get accepted. Things do however, look very promising so I hope to be able to make those congratulations a reality very soon! Thank you Taz for the heads up about the horse therapy video. I’m really curious now and I look forward to watching it. And thank you Colleen! The picture doesn’t do him much justice as far as size. He’s my 100 lb ball of fluff!

4. Taz Karim says:

Ah, the dreaded GRE – you will do fine! The key is to take as many practice exams as you can so you are familiar with the types of questions they will ask you. Graduate schools are more interested in your GPA, personal statement and letters of recommendations any way. The GRE score is more of a minimum requirement you need to pass to get into the university itself, and sometimes a way to rank students in a program for funding (if they even have any available).

5. Naomi Fleischmann says:

Hi Jenny! I love how connected you are with your dog, and I love that he is so important to you. It always makes me happy to see pet owners who would love nothing else than to spend their entire day with their pets. Good luck on your GRE, by the way! I am going to have to start preparing for it soon, unfortunately, because veterinary schools are also expecting to see it on our resumes. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck as you work towards becoming a student of USF!

• Jenny Hallesy says:

Aw thank you! To say he’s my world is an understatement. He also has the absolute funniest personality. He’ll wear hats and sunglasses around the house and if he’s bored, he’ll get in your face and howl as loud as he can and then run away, hoping you’ll chase him. He’s a riot. But thank you so much on wishing me luck with the GRE. And good luck to you as well! I’ve heard vet school can be very difficult, but you’ve come this far and I’m sure the rest will be a breeze especially with how much you seem to love animals.

6. qiblawis says:

Hey Jenny, I hope you achieve your goal of going to USF. I also love animals and I always wanted a dog. Your dog is very cute, and that is one of my favorite breeds. I hope the GRE goes well for you and you get the score that you desire.

7. Widad Nasser says:

Hey Jenny!

My Name is Widad and I am also a Human Biology major. I also had the pleasure of walking off the stage in May and will be getting my degree after this course. Working into getting into graduate school is stressful, I to am dreading taking the GRE. But hopefully all goes well. Good luck on getting into PA school in Florida!