Adventure Junkie

Hello, my name is Nia Franklin. I am a junior at MSU majoring in Human Biology with hopes of continuing on to Medical School and becoming a doctor. I love to travel and try new things. I recently took an elective class at Disney World (Yes, Disney World. That was no typo) and got to do so many amazing things I probably would have never done. It was a trip to Disney World on steroid because we got to do some many things that you could not do with a regular ticket. We got to travel to all of the parks and go behind the scenes. I also got to go snorkeling and swim with the dolphins at sea world. Dolphins are one of my favorite animals and it’s always been a dream of mine to be up close and personal with one of them.

I recently returned from a study abroad trip in Japan when I stayed for 5 weeks studying comparative health care. The class focused on the comparisons and similarities of our health care system and Japan’s health care system. Needless to say, Japans health care is a lot better. During my time there I traveled to several different hospitals in Japan, got to interview Japanese doctors, and take classes with other Japanese students. Also while overseas I took a 3 week, intensive Japanese class. I now know 3 languages, English, Spanish, and some Japanese J I’m hoping that not only I become a doctor someday but that I can really influence a change in our country. We can learn a lot from the other countries in this world. I for one think Japan has a lot of great methods for a better environment and community.

During my free time I usually like to relax and catch up on my favorite tv shows. But I also like to work out, practice piano, and listen to music.

I don’t have any previous anthropology experience. I am taking this class for my major and because it seemed the most interesting and like it would contribute to my knowledge of the medical field more than some of the other options I had. I’ve also have heard good things about this course from a fellow co-worker.

Me and my friends from University of Shiga Prefecture Nursing Class.

1. Tyler says:

Hi Nia- It was interesting to read about your experiences with Japanese healthcare. I’ve worked in a hospital for close to a year and can definitely see how our healthcare could be behind other countries but I was curious if you could explain how specifically their healthcare impressed you compared to ours? Was it even one specific thing or just greater on many levels. Good luck with your goals towards med school!

• frank181 says:

Thank you and good luck to you as well.
      Japanese health care was a lot more efficient that America’s in many ways. For starters, everyone has health care there regardless of income. They also are less business oriented and more patient oriented. For example after a mother gives birth here in America they are out of the hospital in just a couple of days where as in Japan when someone gives birth or has surgery they are kept in the hospital for longer for “spiritual healing” and not just physical healing. The people in Japan also shared more of a friendship with their doctors. They got check ups far more often than Americans and really have trust in their doctors. Also the cost for medical school there is dirt cheap in comparison to America, the trade of is the doctor’s salary are less than here.

2. Delisa Quayson says:

Hi Nia, sounds like you had an awesome summer. I also just got back from a study abroad in Germany, I went to study the language and culture but I did an independent study comparing the health care systems between Germany and America and i found that the German system was less complicated, very effective and efficient. I hope we both make it to medical school and get to live our dreams. Good luck!!

3. Taz Karim says:

Hi Nia – Welcome to the course! I am so excited to see you and your classmates already making observations across various health systems. We will be watching a video called “sick around the world” which does precisely that. I look forward to reading your reflections this semester.