Weiss- Camping and Canoeing

Hi Class! My name is Hannah Weiss and I am going to be a Senior at Michigan State University starting in the fall. I am majoring in Anthropology and also studying in a Pre-Medical pathway. I plan on applying to medical school in the future. I have taken several anthropology classes such as Biological anthropology, Sex and Gender, and Cultural anthropology. I also worked as a research assistant helping transcribe and research material for a Medical Anthropology graduate students dissertation. I am taking this class to learn more about Medical Anthropology, a topic I am very interested in and also filling a requirement for my major.

I love being outdoors and participating in activities such as camping, hiking, canoeing, swimming and s’more eating. During the summers I work at an overnight camp. This is my fifth summer working here. I worked two years as a counselor for girls ages 7-10. I then worked as a “tripper”, organizing and leading camping trips for the campers in camp from ages 8-16. These were two to three night trips involving either backpacking or canoeing. We slept in tents, cooked over fires, and carried all of our belongings with us. My fourth summer I worked as a staff member at a secluded camp in Canada. This consisted of 14 and 15 year olds living in wooden cabins with no electricity, no running water, and no electronics. This was an incredible experience to live in the woods and  work as a community to accomplish tasks each day. This summer I am working at the camp as a clinic assistant in the infirmary. So far it has been a very interesting summer helping patients around the camp, including staff and campers. We see everything from sun burns, rashes, and splinters to trauma patients, broken bones, and seizures. This is an incredible camp and I am fortunate to be working to help make it a healthy, happy, and safe summer. We are also responsible for all of the medications taken by the campers and staff. There are 1000 people here each session and each summer there are two session each lasting 24 days. It is a demanding job but extremely fulfilling! IMG_0303This is a picture of me and my brother on one of our canoeing trips.

1. Kelly Delorme says:

Hi Hannah – I have recently re-discovered my love for hiking and camping so it’s awesome to hear about your experiences at camps! I’m from Canada so I always love to hear when other people get to come to Canada and enjoy the awesome outdoor activities. Your job this summer sounds like such an amazing experience and it sounds like it would be a super fun and crazy job. Do you know what you want to do in the medical field?