Applied Approach

As mentioned in the video, all six approaches overlap in some manner with one or more another approaches. I can see how each approach independently and in combination with another could yield very good results but if I had to pick one, i’ll go with the applied approach. This approach talks about using interviews and doing observations and i think they are both wonderful ways to analyze a problem or patient and decide on the best way to tackle the situation. Interviewing patients allows one to hear what is going on from the patients perspective. This kind of information may not always be medically accurate but it provides the doctor with the opportunity to give advice or handle treatment in a way that is acceptable and more appealing to the patient.

I know i’m one of many that used the words disease and illness interchangeably. On some level, I knew that there was a distinction but I realize and understand now what that distinction is. A disease is a physical manifestation, it has physical symptoms that can be identified and treated if necessary. An illness is more psychological, it is a more internal ailment. One might say that a disease is the physical manifestation of an illness.

I believe the culture Horace Miner was referring to in his article was the Western culture. I started to pick this up when he mentioned the market economy. America and the western world have one of the largest if not the largest market economy. I leaned more and more towards this culture she he talked about human appearance. The western world has some product to combat every possible physical deficiency you can think of. From wrinkle creams, tanning creams, make-up, acne treatments, various hair treatments to   whitening of the teeth.

The two rituals i picked from the excerpt are the Mouth rite and the latipso ceremony. The mouth rite which i likened to teeth brushing and visiting the dentist shows how much value the people place on social relationships and their general health. They go through this ritual to avoid loosing their teeth and being rejected by their lovers. The latipso demonstrates the stigma associated with hospitals. Most people view this as a last resort and care is available for only those that can afford it. Once people get to the shrine (hospital) they believe that whatever is done to them there is in their best interest and they value the expertise of the professionals taking care of them.

1. Adam Feuerstein says:

Delisa, I agree with your logic in choosing the applied approach. I choose biological approach to write about but I was between that and the applied approach. I think he interviews is a great way to find out the problem for each individual patient, the reason I did not choose this was I found it unrealistic to do this approach to a large quantity of people and the interviews would only work if people are 100% truthful which many times is not the case.
    The Nacerima article I think even though written 50 years ago is very similar to today. I don’t think the time difference has changed people’s opinion too greatly and that much of the dental care preformed is to please others for appearance and to avoid pain for the person receiving the care. The part about the hospitals I believe could be accurate for many older patient as well as those in poor areas. However, I think with the media and advances in science people are much less afraid of hospitals and they are not a last resort type place anymore. People also tend to second-guess their doctors more now because of something they either heard on the news or a friend with a similar problem. Overall I think the article is still very relevant and that is part of how you realized it was about the western culture.

2. Amber Roberts says:

I think that the applied approach is another useful approach to studying health but I think that it would be difficult to interview a large number of people. Therefore, I think that the biological approach is an easier method and it has more of a scientific basis which makes it more reliable.

I think that the rituals described in the Nacerima article are pretty up to date or else we wouldn’t have been able to tell that Miner was describing our American culture. We still brush our teeth in order to avoid cavities and tooth decay as well as so our breath is fresh and our teeth stay nice and clean. Also, the description of the hospitals is up to date as people still visit the hospital when they seek medical help and want to feel better. However, I also agree with Adam’s comment when he says that people are less afraid to go the doctors today. Now a days, people always seem to think that they’re sick or that they’re something wrong with them so they are constantly visiting the doctors, even when it’s not really necessary.