Optometrist, adventurist, cat lover.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Taylor Smith. I am going to be a senior this fall and will graduate in May with a degree in Human Biology. I am also in Lyman Briggs and the Honors College. I am currently applying to Optometry school and hope to begin at The Michigan College of Optometry at Ferris State in the fall. This will be my first experience with anthropology, and I’m very excited to have the chance to learn about it before I graduate, as it is something I have always been curious about.

Outside of school I work at an optometry practice where I’ve gotten the chance to get some really great real world experience, not just with the technical aspect, but especially in working with patients. This has helped me to realize where my passion really lies; in working with children. I hope to specialize in pediatrics and do a lot of work in vision therapy, helping children see clearly for the first time in their life.

In May, I was lucky enough to get to travel through Europe for a study abroad program that focused on International Food Laws. I learned so much about public health and safety regarding food, while seeing some of the most beautiful cities in the world. London was my favorite city, but I also absolutely loved traveling through Italy, especially Cinque Terre along the Mediterranean coast. At MSU I am also very involved in my sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, where I served as vice president last year.

I love being active, and enjoy spending time outside snowboarding, playing soccer or beach volleyball, boating, and hiking. Traveling is one of my biggest passions, and I love exploring new incredible places and experiencing new cultures. During the summer, I like to spend time at my cottage on Higgins Lake (and can’t wait to get up there tomorrow to enjoy the holiday weekend!)

I also really really love animals, especially cats! Earlier in June my family adopted two little kittens who are the cutest things you’ve ever seen, so of course I had to include a picture of them!

1. Emily Tassoni says:

Hey Taylor! My name is Emily Tassoni. It grabbed my attention that you’re planning on coming to Ferris State next fall since Ferris is in my hometown. I’ve lived in Big Rapids all my life and while its pretty small its still a fun little place to be! Also your cats are adorable 🙂 Good luck with Optometry school!

2. Maureen John says:

Hey Taylor! My name is Maureen 🙂 I noticed that you got to go on Study Abroad in Europe! London is also one of my favorite cities and I would love to visit Italy one day.