Applied

I chose the Applied approach to be the approach that would be more useful and beneficial to studying health. The applied approach is the only way that seems to involve the people that are being affected or could be affected my health reasons. I believe that clinical studies are the only real way to experience and illness or diseases first hand and the best way to go through a trial and error when trying to help someone.

I feel that the distinction between disease and illness is more of a population versus individual type of distinction. The disease is more in a global sense where it can affect everyone the same way depending on what kind of diseases the affected are experiencing. But illness is more on an personal level like when a patient is trying to describe their pain and their discomfort, they might be having the same disease as another person who has been diagnosed,  but with illness it tells us more about that personal moment at the time of questioning which might be individually  unique. It might be at a different stage with them and changing their state of health, physical, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually,then would affect others.

It took me a while and a little research to understand what culture Miner was talking about but I finally get it. The author describes the culture that we live in today. Even though it was written over 50 years ago, it still applies to us today.

One ritual that I thought that was interesting was the fact that the Nacerima people having the shrine in the household. It was said that the more wealthier people were able to have more than one shrine, meaning bathrooms, where there are these boxes/medicine cabinets where we keep the make-ups and medicines that we used to fix our “ugly” bodies that is so handicap to disease. When they talk about how the shrine is made, it symbolized they way our bathrooms are where some people have the tiles/marble floors and walls that really makes a bathroom stand out from all the other rooms in the house.

The second ritual that liked how the author describe was the latipso ceremonies. The article mention that it is a place that you go to die, which is kind of like our hospital in our society where sick people go to weak help, and where many deaths might happen. You have to bare gifts in the latipso ceremonies to search help from the medicine men, where in our culture you most likely can not be seen my a doctor if you do not provide some type of insurance or payment to be seen.

1. Josh Williams says:

In Jamila’s analysis of the rituals I think she has very good insight of our current values and ideologies. I do not think that I can update it at all, but more highlight some of the excellent connections I saw in her analysis. I agree that the way people sanctify the bathroom is true because its where we start and finish most of our days and really highlights the aspect of cleanliness that our culture values so highly. I also feel that she highlights the concept of the latipsoh or hospital very well with the bartering of gifts to receive health treatment. This exhibits that we as people associate wealth with health and only those who can pay the price are allowed the have the highest level of health that we cherish as a culture. Also, a great connection that I saw in the analysis was that both cleanliness and health are viewed to be interconnected to the naciremans (us), relative to the number of bathrooms or shrines based on the home’s wealth. So in this context not only do we see health relative to wealth but also with our ability to be clean and it would seem that our culture truly values higher wealth because it allows us to pursue our ideals of self-perfectionism e.g. being as healthy and clean as possible.