ADHD

The word health brings to mind an overall balance of mind, body, and spirit. In order for one to be “healthy,” one must be rid of ANY factor that influences these in a negative way. Therefore health is more so a state of mind, unique to each individual, and a matter of the individual’s perception.

Illness is more so related to the physical aspect of a human and is not SOLELY based on perception, but definitely subject to influence by ones’s perception. Illness is anything that harms the body or removes the body from its state of homeostasis.

Like everything else in our world, these criteria were most definitely influenced by the media and society as a whole. Although the actual IDEA of illness  is a thing of the ages (existing as long as any living creature was around), it’s definition has been skewed and altered by different situations and aspects of society, the same applies to health as well.

Cancer- As I mentioned before an illness is anything that disrupts the bodies homeostasis and harms the body. This is exactly the mindset I have used to determine that cancer is in fact an illness seeing as how it takes a toll on both the mental and physical aspect of a person.

ADHD- ADHD on the other hand is something that I’ve been very interested in recently. It seems to have grown very “popular” recently especially in my generation and those before me. I have seen adderrall used and abused and it has brought some questions to mind. Although I am by no means making accusations or false claims, I have doubts that ADHD is an actual illness seeing as how it does not physically harm one’s body. As I said though, I need further information and research and that is why I’ve chosen this as my topic in hopes of learning more about it.

1. Kelly Cummins says:

I chose to comment on this post because I find it extremely intriguing how other cultures treat this disease. Often, ADHD thought of as an “American disorder” because it is found in much less prevalence in other countries.

After doing a significant amount of research on this disease, an article I found in The Official Journal of The World Psychiatric Association was the most relevant. The study that was done looked at the prevalence of ADHD in Europe and how they categorize and diagnose differently from the US.

It was found that ADHD is actually just as prominent in European countries but is often treated differently. Some determining factors for treatment are cultural perceptions and access to health care. European people have access to health care but some countries have different opinions on medicating kids with attention disorders. Surveys show that there is widespread cultural perception on this which creates the illusion that there is an enormous prevalence in the United States.

The worldwide prevalence of ADHD: is it an American condition?
    STEPHEN V FARAONE, JOSEPH SERGEANT, CHRISTOPHER GILLBERG, JOSEPH BIEDERMAN
    World Psychiatry. 2003 June; 2(2): 104–113

2. Valencia Smith says:

ADHD is most commonly diagnosed among school age children. In Chile, this disorder has been reported to affect 5% of the population between the ages of 4 and 18 years of age. In Chile, children diagnosed are considered for special educational needs. This article showed studies done on the aymara and non aymara populations in Chile and also talked about the different reasons for diagnosis of this disorder. I believe that this is an illness because it does affect the mental stability of a person. It is a psychological disorder and I believe the mental health of a person should be considered when the definition of health is used. As far as people who use and abuse drugs for the treatment of this disorder, I feel that it is truly a shame. I feel that if people were more informed about the disorder as a whole, abuse of the drug could be decreased. Just like you’ve stated, more research on the disorder needs to be done and communities need to be informed on ways to treat this illness. In conclusion, the study in the article showed that social and ethnic components contributed to the disorder of ADHD and I found that to be very interesting. I believe that that could be the overall foundation used to study the disorder as a whole.

Carrasco, Ximena et al . Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Aymara Children. Rev. Med. Chile Vol. 140:11 http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=es&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scielo.cl%2Fscielo.php%3Fscript%3Dsci_arttext%26pid%3DS0034-98872012001100005%26lng%3Den%26nrm%3Diso%26tlng%3Den (Assessed July 6, 214)