Applied Approach

When studying medicine I believe in the applied approach simply because you can practice medicine, but if you should “apply” what you have already learned. I think that it’s the most useful; because this approach makes the most practical sense. Its also comprised of all the other approaches. For example, you can read how to treat a wound, but if you are faced with a person with a wound you have to apply your knowledge on exactly what to do.
Disease and illness are similar in the aspect that they cause uneasiness, pain, distress in a person. However, disease is symptoms of parts of the body not functioning normally. Many times diseases are not curable, such as HIV. There is a physiological or biological factor that plays a role in diseases. An illness there is not an identifiable reason to why the person feels discomfort. They often can be cured in most cases such as flu. Until I learned the difference I was not aware that they were not similar.
The Critical Approach was used by Miner to examine our practices and culture of everyday life. Nacimera was very interesting to say the least. Miner explained that there are references that each household has such as a “shrine” that each person cleans their home or themselves with. For example, brushing our teeth was considered “ bundle of hog hairs” and using “magical powders”. This ritual represented the personal hygiene that we use daily so that we can have nice teeth to attract the opposite sex.
Another interesting practice was that when we go into the Doctors office we actually don’t know what they are prescribing us to take. They only understand what they are providing us to to take “ the medicine men use magical potions and give charms”. We still take the “ charms” in anticipate that they make us feel better without even questioning what we are taking.

1. AnnMarie Maniaci says:

Although I chose the biological approach as my method of choice, I understand what you are saying about the applied approach because I debated for a bit on choosing between the two. I eventually decided on the biological approach because I can apply everything I’ve learned from the classes I’ve taken to study medicine.
    If the rituals you have mentioned that involve the placing of hog hairs and “magical” medicines into the mouth were updated, they would most likely relate to the way we use toothpaste to brush our teeth and floss to keep our teeth clean and attractive. In this way, it seems that it was the way they thought appropriate to keep good personal hygiene of the mouth.
    On the other hand, the other ritual you have mentioned involves visiting the medicine man or holy-mouth-man, which in my opinion would be like how we go to the dentist once or twice a year. Similar to the way a dentist uses tools such as retractors and drills to fix tooth decay, the holy-mouth-man used awls and probes to cure the people of any impurities of the mouth. Such a ritual has been tremendously updated, seeing as when we go to the dentist our mouths are numbed so as not to experience any pain, whereas the Nacerima were subjected to immense pain.

2. Vu Ho says:

Though I chose Biological approach as the most useful for studying health, I also feel that applied approach are also very important to study health. Like you said, what you have learned can be used to know the health of that person and knowing the condition are needed to know how to “apply” treat the person.
    By reading your comment and some other I came to the conclusion that the Nacirema is American spelled backward. It seems that the way Miner wrote have somewhat a barbaric tone for description in the article. Relating to oral health, I realized that the holy mouth-man is equivalent current day dentist, both do have lots of dentil instrument such as picks to probe for health of the mouth. And the barbaric acts that holy-mouth man performed to cause the pain to the patients are same as the current day dentist drilling the cavity of the bad teeth. And for the magical white powder was probably just tooth powder that are still used today, but we also have tooth paste. So both procedure are to take care of the health of the mouth, and a healthy mouth are being judged by the past and today’s society.
    And for the second comment, for the bottle of magical potions and charms that the medicine man are probably equivalent to today modern day’s prescription and supplements. For the charm I think it could be a supplement as a beauty product.
    I agree that some healthcare that are provided in the past may seems barbaric, strange or mysterious. But they are changing, eventually modernized as today’s procedure. So in conclusion, someone else’s culture may seems strange and barbaric to us, they probably look at us the same way as we do.