Biological Approach

I think this approach will be helpful to use and understand when studying health because it is a very logical way of determining health. The biological approach pertains to genetics, environment, and an individual’s choice when it comes to health. To me, health is mainly altered through these three categories.

The distinction between disease and illness according to the lecture is that disease is something from the human environment and illness is from a human experience. Disease is always in the environment, but only becomes an illness if a human comes “one with the disease” so to say.

I believe that Miner is talking about our culture, which means the developed country here of America. At the beginning of the article I thought that Miner may have been talking about Native Americans but then I started to realize the way the article was headed. My first clue was when he described that the culture is devoted to economic pursuits and the appearance of the human body. When Miner started talking about the ritual of the mouth and teeth and the “holy-mouth-man” I knew then that he was describing modern American culture.

As I was describing, the mouth ritual shows how much the modern culture cares about appearances. It does show though that many people in the culture are concerned about their health. They go to the “holy-mouth-man” to make sure their teeth look nice and prolong decaying of the teeth. The people put up with the terrifying tools and the pain they may endure just for appearances and for health.

Another ritual representing health or medicine is the visits to the temple or latispo. The temple is what I believe is the hospital or doctor’s office. The people visit the medicine man in hope to become better from an illness or to prevent one. Miner describes parts of the ritual that also resemble pain or one becoming uncomfortable in the hope that they become better

1. Laceey Ruble says:

Our culture continues to be transfixed by appearance, especially dental hygiene. In an updated version discussing the holy mouth man, I imagine oral surgery being discussed as something highly common. It seems nearly obligatory to have braces, for even minor crooked teeth, or a small gap. Further, I know plenty of people who have veneers to make even the shape of their teeth ideal. We could even go beyond the office walls of the holy mouth man and into our homes where people keep teeth whiten strips in order to live up to the pearly white standards that have been set by our culture.

With all of this effort going into appearance and health, you may think part of it should be pleasant. However, in the article pain is often discussed. The dentist and the doctor are often terrifying. People go there because they are not healthy, they have to get carries filled, or they have an illness or disease they want cured. Whatever the case, I think an updated version may discuss the great lengths people go to in order to avoid the doctor’s office. There is an extreme culture of health that has developed in recent years. People exercise copious amounts and are making sure they are eating the healthiest, natural, and most organic food. There is a cultural obsession that has developed as an attempt to stretch the human lifespan as far as possible. It seems to me an updated version of the article would emphasize rituals of longevity as well.