Critical Approach

I think that this approach will be the most helpful to me because I want to work in a psych ward. Many different kinds of people from a variety of backgrounds find themselves in psych wards, whether a patient themselves, employee, or support system for a patient. I think it is very important when working there in the future that I understand how to properly communicate and help the patients. That way I can help heal them from a holistic approach. I think when learning about health, a holistic approach is most important, it combines pharmaceuticals, cultures, and ethics.

I think that illness can be part of a disease.  When someone isn’t healthy they say they feel ill, not that they feel diseased. If someone has a disease they can show symptoms of having an illness, like nausea. To me disease is hereditary and prolonged, for example cancer, but that isn’t a concrete rule. Someone could suffer from depression, that is considered a mental illness, it is also hereditary and can last a long time. There is not an obvious distinction to me.

Miner is talking about the American culture. I figured this out when he said it was in between Canada and Mexico in North America. Then he said the origin was from traditional states in the east, which means the thirteen colonies. Also Nacirema is American spelled backwards.

A ritual that has a “listener” is a therapy session and the “listener” is a therapist. In the article it said the listeners had the power to exorcise demons that are in patients heads. They believe parents bewitch their children. In the Nacirema culture they believe that parents psychologically hurt their children especially mothers. That creates mental illnesses that they need to see listeners or therapists to help cure. Another ritual is going to see the holy-mouth-man. He is a dentist. The Nacirema stress dental hygiene and how pristine their teeth look. They go in for painful cleanings and checkups because they don’t want decay. If they have decay that means they have poor health. In their society they want to have perfect, clean bodies to show off their health and hide any problems.

1. Hannah Weiss says:

One way that “listeners” have been changed since 50 years ago is their intent. Americans do not believe that by seeing a therapist it will remove a demon from their head. If they wanted spiritual healing they would seek a priest or a rabbi. Another interesting notion this article makes is that parents psychologically hurt their children. This seems quite puzzling because the parents are the ones taking the children to these appointments and paying for them to be seen.

The other ritual discussed is going to see the holy-mouth-man. I do not know what makes him “holy” or makes it spiritual. Research has also been done to prove that dental health is extremely important and someones teeth can tell you a lot about the person. I think that there is a lot that can be changed from the article written 50 years ago to today. Things now have meaning and research to back up the notions about decay and hygiene. These are not spiritual or “painful” experiences but instead they should be seen as a spa treatment. Like getting your hair cut, or your nails done. It is a privilege to have these amenities and are only painful if you do not take care of your own body.