ethno-medical

I think that the ethno-medical approach would be the most helpful and useful especially here in America. The United States of America is unique because of all the different cultures that live here. With different cultures comes different beliefs. After traveling to Japan this summer I really got to see how their culture perceives health care. In Japan the people do not believe in using pharmaceutical pills for every sickness and illness. Instead they would turn to natural herbs and other sources of healing such as acupuncture, massage, and moxibustion. They were stunned when they heard some of the things we Americans would take pills for. I think the ethno-medical approach would be perfect because it would satisfy all cultures.

The difference between illness and disease was fairly obvious to me due to my background in health care studies. Illness is the symptoms an individual feels in response to a disease. The illness could be mild or severe depending on the individual and the severity of the disease. Disease is a condition that effects an individual. It could be caused by genetics or and environmental cause or physical as well.

The latipso ceremony is a form of treatment or medicine used by the Nacirema to treat the sick. The natives don’t seem to really like this form of medicine because not all can afford it. One must bring a nice offering. The natives seem traumatized by this because they are not usually naked and they are vulnerable. This ritual is like the current health care in the united states. Only those with money can afford certain treatments and medicines those who don’t have the funds are left to fend for themselves. The mouth-rite ritual is interesting. The native Nacirema people would brush their teeth with the hog hair and magical powders like we would brush our teeth with a regular toothbrush and toothpaste. This relates to American beliefs that straight, white teeth is attractive and clean.