Infertility

What is my definition of health? To be healthy means that you are physically, mentally, and emotionally at your best. According to Dictionary.com “health is the state of being free from illness or injury.” Illness to me means that something is affecting the body in a negative way. Dictionary.com says that illness is “a disease or period of sickness affecting the body or mind”. The two relate to each other because one cannot be totally healthy if they have an illness and vice versa. Illness may not be permanent and most of the time there is always a chance for a healthy comeback.

In my opinion, infertility is an illness. Infertility is the inability to conceive. My reason for thinking it is an illness is because the ability to make a baby is a gift, it is one of the most precious things that the women’s body can endure. if you are not able to fully carry a baby then the women’s body isn’t fulfilling its full purpose. Wikipedia’s definition of infertility is “ fundamentally the inability to conceive offspring. Infertility also refers to the state of a woman who is unable to carry a pregnancy to full term.” Sometimes infertility is caused by problems with the woman, other times problems with the man, or it could be from old age but there are treatments for this illness. Hence, there may be a healthy return and the woman could conceive and carry a baby full term.

Menstruation is not an illness, if you ask me. Menstruation is when the inner lining of the uterus sheds causing a women to flow blood through her vagina. It usually lasts for 3-5 days and it is monthly for a normal cycle. If a women does not experience a menstrual cycle, it is likely due to pregnancy in most cases ( unless due to complications that need medical attention). Which further proves why I believe that menstruation is not an illness but something that women need in order to stay healthy, it also allows for a mother to bear a child which is amazing to me.

1. Paige Smith says:

Even though I am not sure if infertility is an illness or a disease, I can see why you said it is an illness. As you have stated, infertility is the inability to conceive or carry a pregnancy to full term and could be from a problem with the male or the female. Infertility can be devastating to a woman or couple hoping to conceive and it is not uncommon among women ready to reproduce. In Nigeria, having children is very important and not doing so is a social failure. It is so important in fact, that infertility is seen as plausible grounds for divorce and the blame for infertility is placed on the woman (even though most causes for infertility come from the male). Fortunately, there are treatments that could help some people reproduce. One of them in particular is In-vitro fertilization (IVF). In-vitro fertilization is where an egg from the mother and sperm from the father are manually combined and then placed in the woman’s womb. Until recently, IVF was unavailable and/or unaffordable in Nigeria and now this treatment is being used to help couples around the country have children and avoid being social outcasts. Hopefully in the future this procedure will be available in more developing countries.

Christian Purefoy and Teo Kermeliotis, “IVF helps Nigerians overcome infertility stigma”, Marketplace Africa, September 15, 2011, accessed July 5, 2014 http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/15/world/africa/nigeria-ivf-treatment-stigma/index.html