Infertility

My definition of health would have to include your physical and mental well-being.  What I mean by that is a person who is free from a disease and is in a good mental state of mind.  When defining illness that would be anything that interrupts your mental state of mind or anything that affects your body, physically.  Illness, to me is basically something that affects your health in a negative or positive way. Even too much excitement is not good for you. Look at it like this, happy stress is still stress.  You may be happy with the situation but this situation still causes stress on your body, but you’re happy about the situation so you may not view it this way. For example I just recently moved out of East Lansing, I was excited and happy to move out of East Lansing, but moving is very stressful and due to the stressful events I can tell it had an effect on my body.

My definitions came from a few different views which would have to include school and myself. I have learned a lot from taking different classes at MSU to figure out that mental, physical and social problems in your life can cause harm to your body for example stress. Your surroundings can also affect your health because you could be exposed to different things which aren’t good for you in the long run like pollution or if someone has bad allergies and they get too much exposure to it.

From the list I decided to go with shyness and infertility.  Shyness is something that is something mental and that shouldn’t be considered an illness because there is nothing wrong with that person and it does not affect their health at all. Being shy (something that I am very familiar with) is not tied to your health in one bit. Due to me being shy has no effect on my health.  On the other hand infertility could be considered an illness because a woman’s body is meant to reproduce and it must be a reason physically to why she cannot reproduce.

1. Jenny Hallesy says:

Infertility is absolutely a condition that affects men and women all over the world and of many different cultures. While there are many forms of treatment for infertility that are used throughout the United States, it is interesting to think about how a person’s culture may affect their available forms of treatment and how this condition may be perceived. For example, in the African culture, a true marriage is only fulfilled when a couple is able to conceive a child. Due to this belief, infertility has become a major reason for divorce in Africa considering many couples become married for the sole purpose of having children. If this cannot be accomplished, the marriage is deemed worthless and, in most cases, ended. Sadly enough, one of the major reasons for infertility is caused by another piece of African culture: Female circumcision/mutilation. As far as infertility treatments, one of the few methods in African culture is simple sex education which helps to prevent the STDs that may be responsible for infertility. Unfortunately due to the large expenses associated with the treatment methods used in the US, those affected with infertility in Africa are unable to afford these more effective forms of treatment. I did not find any examples of these more effective treatments being frowned upon simply due to cultural beliefs and I would be interested to find out if this is ever the case in the African culture.

Leke, Robert. “Regional and Geographical Variations in Infertility: Effects of Environmental, Cultural, and Socioeconomic Factors.” Environmental Health Perspectives Supplements. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8243409 (accessed July 6, 2014)