Insomnia

My definition of health would be the balance of mental, physical and emotional well-being. Anything that disrupts this balance, unnaturally, is considered an illness. An illness is also anything that can be treated. You can be given medications, go through surgical procedures, therapy of some sort etc. An illness is an imbalance that can be treated to bring you back to a healthy state. I think my general understanding of these terms is influenced by society and what we were taught in school and in part cultural influence. We were always taught that someone that is healthy is a person with physical strength, eats well and is emotionally stable. All illnesses were medically treated, like a disease. You have to go to the doctor, and take your medications in order to become healthy again.

Insomnia- is an illness. Lack of sleep causes mental imbalance and can lead to physical illness. Without sleep, your body does not function at its best ability. In a sense, an individual with Insomnia is like a zombie. Their bodies are in total imbalance. People who have insomnia can eventually die without treatment.

ADHD- Although, people with ADHD look to be physically healthy, they are mentally and emotionally imbalanced. They don’t have the attention span of normal healthy individuals and tend to be a little emotionally unstable. Individuals with ADHD are given medications to calm them and give them the attention span of a healthy person. Therefore, ADHD is an illness.

Migraines- they can be normal just like a headache, are very common. They may be considered a minor imbalance. However, migraines can be so severe that they can cause imbalance physically and mentally and occur often. There are many treatments that help get rid of these migraines, like medications. Therefore, Migraines are considered an illness.

1. holechri says:

I like your use of Insomnia for the post, as it is not really something people consider when thinking of an illness. Most people think of a common issue such as the cold. As someone who has previously suffered through it, it really does affect the daily flow of life. I recall not being able to sleep and lying at nights, while in the daytime feeling like a zombie who cannot focus on a single simple task. I like the thought of an illness as something that creates an imbalance in the daily life functions. Also for health, I can understand the link towards well-being. When I do things in the name of my well being, I usually think of myself in terms of how I physically feel as well as my mental fortitude at the time. Upon times of stress, the physical and mental state both seem to deteriorate at a similar, direct rate. I feel like I took a different route in my post, by adding the economic factor into well-being I feel like I may have taken too far a stretch in relating the concepts of what is well-being and what is simply living well. If that makes any sense.

2. Jay-Garfein Devin says:

I agree with your definition of insomnia being an illness. Sleep deprivation can cause a variety of ailments and even death if severe enough. I think that it was important to mention how imbalanced the body is with lack of sleep.
    The United States recognizes insomnia as an illness and so does the European Union. Not only is it recognized, but it is one of the most popular mental illnesses to have. That being said, more people may feel more comfortable disclosing information about insomnia than another mental illness that have a more negative stigma. That makes it more acceptable to have and more people can seek treatment and have support.
    It is easier to admit to insomnia and many people do have problems sleeping at night. It is not surprising that insomnia is one of the more prevalent disorders. On a basic level, one of the main problems in getting enough sleep is artificial versus natural light. Since electricity became part of their culture people started reporting less sleep. Some countries like Finland and Sweden have parts that have sunshine for the majority of the day or for a whole day. When people see light it is harder for them to get rest. Sleep loss is a very relate able problem to have.

Wittchen H.U., et al., “The Size and Burden of Mental Disorders and Other Disorders of the Brain in Europe 2010”(2011) European Neuropsychopharmacology, 21 (9) , pp. 655-679.
    http://www.europeanneuropsychopharmacology.com/article/S0924-977X(11)00172-6/abstract

3. Kayla Lumpkin says:

I do agree with you that insomnia is an illness. We don’t realize how important sleep is until we see that our brains cannot function correctly without rest and the effects it has on our abilities to do everyday task. Insomnia is more common than we think as it is becoming more of an issue in America and other countries. In the article by Huffington post, it says “nearly a quarter of adults are unhappy with their sleep patterns, will 10% meet the criteria for full-fledged insomnia- putting them at a greater risk for depression, hypertension, and diabetes.” In the United States, insomnia is traditionally treated by making a few lifestyle changes such as not drinking caffeine, not consuming alcohol, or using any stimulants like tobacco. Adopting new bedtime habits helps relax the body in preparation for sleep and can help deal with insomnia over time. A study of sleep problems done in Africa & Asia found that 1 of 20 people suffer from a sleeping disorder. I found it interesting that it was thought that insomnia was a western developed problem and it was not supposed to be common in other countries. However, Insomnia is just as common in other countries showing 16% of people in Africa and Asia, and 20% of people in the west suffer from insomnia. The treatments in other countries are similar to those in the United States, using lifestyle changes and new habits to obtain a more peaceful sleep. Even though insomnia is not thought to be an illness, it seems that it is viewed as an illness in other countries as well.

Catherine Pearson, “Insomnia In The U.S. Is Still A Pressing Public Health Problem, Study Shows”, Huffington Post, Accessed July 4,2014,
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/20/insomnia-health-problem-study_n_1217093.html

Nirmalya Dutta & Dr. Reshma Nayak,”Insomnia rampant in third world countries”, The Health Site, Accessed July 4,2014 , http://www.thehealthsite.com/news/insomnia-rampant-in-third-world-countries-study/