Title: Write down the “race(s)” or “ethnicity” you identify with and an illness that is disproportionately prevalent among that group. (e.g. “Cervical Cancer among Asian women” or “Tay Sachs disease among Jewish children”)
Body: (300 words)
- Insert a graph or image illustrating rates of this disease in one ethnic group compared to another
- Based on the materials from this week, explain the relationship between race, genetics, and health. Be thorough in your explanation and use examples from class.
- Explain the health disparity you chose in your title and explain why you think it is so prevalent among that group (genetic factors? social determinants?)
- CITE YOUR SOURCES AT THE BOTTOM in Chicago Style
Comment: (200 words)
- Choose a post that identified a different health disparity in their title.
- Read through their post and evaluate their explanation of the relationship between race, genetics and health? Is there something they didn’t consider? Did they mention something you wouldn’t have considered?
- Tell them how useful you think racial categories are in clinical studies and offer a better way of talking about racialized health disparities.