In Sickness and in Wealth

I received a 7/10 on the Health Equity Quiz, but I do not attribute this score to my knowledge of the information questioned. I found myself guessing correctly on many of them and I feel that my score should have been lower. The most surprising stastic I saw was that the United States is 29th in average age! I thought the United States was on the cutting edge of health care and to see that are own citizens are dying earlier than many other nations is both alarming and humbling.

In the “Unnatural Causes 1,” titled “In Sickness and in Wealth,” there is an emphasis on the economic status of people and how that impacts the health of people. The video initially discusses how America spends 2 trillion dollars on health care annually, yet we have fallen to 30th on the world list of life expectancy. The aim of this video is to show that it the distribution of wealth that is the best indicator for how healthy someone lives their life, not their genetic predisposition. The video showed that being healthy relies on access to income, education, and social determinants of health. The most notable proof of lifestyle being more determinant to health than genes was when one of the doctors said that identical twins would show differences in health statuses if they diverged to different working statuses later in their lives. This means that, according to the video, siblings who have identical genetic coding would experience differences in their health based on their economic status. The video showed different case studies of families that were different socioeconomic statuses and compared their living style to their health and wellness. The video concludes by talking about empowering communities and allowing people to take charge of their lives.

I agree with the video that I watched and I believe that genetics play a minimal role in our current health disparities, especially in America. The biggest determinant of health, according to the Health Equity Quiz and the video, is income, the access to education, and the access to social determinants of health. Most importantly, I think diet and exercise are the reasons for the disparity of health. Unhealthy food is cheaper and more readily available in communities of low income status and areas that have wealthier people are more prone to have expensive food that is healthier.

1. Jamila Carver says:

When think of a plan to help someone’s health measure up to their economic status the solution that comes to mind is self. Dealing with health issues period, I believe it all starts and depends with one’s self and their local community. If someone is not taking care of themselves and neither are the people around them it does not even matter what their economic status might be. Just the simple things such as eating right, staying cleaning, and following the right prevention guides should give any individual life long health, unless genetic or environmental issues occur. Second might be using the help of the government by going to free clinics to get annual check ups will never hurt. The government does provide help in some small way to at least get the minimum of just seeing weather you are in good health or not, so you are able to make the appropriate changes.

I way to keep your health at your economic level and help others too is spread ways of prevention. It might sound a little basic but it could be all the help and education that can save many lives. Just simply letting people know the right things to eat, when and how to eat, and what to look out for when living daily lives.