Bad Sugar

When I took the quiz I received a 7/10 the first most likely because I have seen  a lot of the facts previously in other classes. The statistic that I always find most interesting is always that of wealth being the greatest indicator of good health. It always seems to me that generally anyone in a higher socio-economic status will have significantly better health than most people in the classes beneath them (with some exceptions).

This video summarizes the Pima tribe and their experiences with type 2 diabetes and the where the increased risk of this life threatening disease comes from. The video strongly suggested that low socioeconomic status and the uprooted people contributed strongly  to the current risk of diabetes in these people. The lack of water caused the inability to create economic prosperity among the tribes and forced them to survive on governmental aid, which was mostly processed unhealthy foods. This strongly contributed to these tribes high prevalence of diabetes and suggest that this uprooting of people and impoverished conditions force these people to have extremely high risk of disease.

There are significant non-genetic factors such as the attitude that the people had towards having diabetes. They felt that if their family had diabetes that they were going to get it or that they had “bad sugar”. This mentality could have strongly affected the chances of getting diabetes because they did not take preventative care and simply excepted the fact that they would get diabetes. Also, another non-genetic factor is the disposition of the peoples land and history. When people are pulled out of their culture and lifestyles, the video suggest that similar disease epidemics (e.g. diabetes) in all races who have experienced this cultural shift. The most important factor however, is poverty. Poverty and stress from living in these conditions cause serious affects that increase blood sugar and strongly contribute to diabetes.