In sickness and in wealth

I did well on the quiz. I think I was prepared for a lot of the questions because of the comparative health care class I took during my study abroad trip. The class touched on a lot of these subjects. One of the answers I got wrong and also found interesting is that America spends two and a half times as much per person on health care compared to the average of the other industrialized countries. How can that be when 47 million people are still without any health care? There is seriously something wrong with the system.

The unnatural causes episode “In Sickness and In Wealth” focuses on the comparison of American health care and other industrialized countries which is why I chose to write about it. It is a topic I am fairly passionate about and hoping changes very soon. The episode touches on how American health care and social status determines basically how long you will live. It was interesting to learn about the identical twins taking different paths in life after the age of eighteen. If one of the twins became successful and one did not their health care was different. The more successful twin got more health care and will probably out live with sibling. Another point that stunned me was the fact that the life expectancy of college graduates was two years longer than high school graduates. That hit home because I am 21 years old going to college but I have friends from high school that I still talk to that can’t even afford to go to or finish college. It made me fear for them and be thankful for the life I was given and the opportunities I have. I can’t help but feel the health care system is targeted towards minorities. Minorities statistically have less money and opportunities than people who aren’t a minority and cannot get health care. It’s sad to see that there is still discrimination at this day in age.

1. Jenny Hallesy says:

I agree with you on how sad it is that a person’s health care and social status seem to be the deciding factors on how long a person will live in the U.S. It’s shocking to see that nothing has changed to make health care equally available to citizens of the U.S. even though this problem has been going on for many years. My solution to this problem would be both political and economical and would include policies that help get health care costs under control and more available for all citizens as opposed to only being available to those who can afford it. While it is important for medical and pharmaceutical companies to make money in order for maintenance and staff wages, it is still possible to cut back the costs of medical bills and medication costs while still making enough money to keep their employees happy and the facilities in good shape. Little changes like these could make a world of difference, especially for those that are bordering poverty and can only put forth a small amount of money towards health care. I believe that it is the responsibility of both citizens and the government to fix this problem. For the citizens, it is their responsibility to make their voices heard so that the government can work on implementing a universal health care system so that everyone has an opportunity for equal care, regardless of wealth and social standing.