In Sickness and in Wealth

My first reaction when I saw the quiz was confusion because I was not sure how we were supposed to know the answers and I was nervous as to how it will affect my grade. My first go around i got like a three out of ten and i memorized the answers and did it a second time and got them all right. I was very surprised at some of the statistics. I did not know what a huge correlation there was between health and wealth. I had no idea about where America ranked in life expectancies and how much wealthier the top 1% are than the bottom 90%. I also believed development, urbanization and globalization improves health of the local populations. However to an extent as I saw in this video it can be detrimental.  The information I got from all the studies shown was nothing less than surprising. I would have expected the stress of being a CEO to take a worse toll than the stress of a low-income job. Watching these videos actually made the numbers actually make sense though. Knowing that one has the means to combat any problems or complications that may arise in one’s life may be in some way serves as a stress reliever. This video shows a strong correlation between wealth or socio-economic status  and health. The 20 % of the population living in poverty have a life-expectancy rate of 69.8, about 10-12 years younger than the top 1% whose life-expectancy is close to 80.  This expectancy steadily climbs as we go through the socio-economic levels as shown in the video. Everything from susceptibility to diseases like cancer and heart diseases to getting a common cold has been shown to steadily decrease as we climb the ladder to higher and higher earning individuals. Wealth has been proven as the most  major non-medical factor influencing health. This wealth is basically dictated by their income and  home-ownership status. The types and number of meals one has available to them, the stress of stretching every penny to get by and not having enough for a rainy day are all non-genetic factors that could be responsible for these health disparities.

1. Danielle Boore says:

I had many of the same opinions after taking the quiz and choosing to write about “Not Just a Paycheck.” I guess when you think more about it wealth does make sense that is correlated with health. My video did not mention specific ages like yours did about life expectancy so originally I assumed it was a few years difference. Not 10-12 years like you stated above. My video also mentioned that lower income people or people who have no income at all after losing their job can not afford the medication they need. Before these videos I never thought about every effect losing your job had. I just thought about the basics like missing some house payments, taking away vacations or limiting how many times you go out to eat. But really it is so much more then that which it seems like you learned as well. Delisa also made an interesting point bringing up the stress of a higher job compared to that of someone unemployed. Maybe it’s a different type of stress that does not have the same long term effects on someone? A CEOs stress might only be at work and then they can go home and enjoy their free time. Someone who is not as well off with money is probably thinking about it constantly and every purchase they make or bill they have to pay is probably causing them even more stress.