Place Matters

I got a 4 out of 10 on the Health Equity Quiz. The statistic about income inequality was the most shocking to me. I knew that there was a large inequality but I didn’t know it was so bad. It doesn’t seem right that the top 1% of families own more wealth than the bottom 90% combined. I was also surprised to learn that wealth is the best predictor of health. When I think of health, the first things that come to mind are diet and exercise, not money.

I watched Unnatural Causes 5: Place Matters. The video talked about how a large portion of our health is based on the neighborhood and city we live in. Neighborhoods with nice parks, sidewalks, healthy food, little pollution, a variety of jobs, etc. are all better to live in. People that have access to healthy grown foods and are involved in social interactions are more likely to live a longer, better life with less worry and stress. The video talks about Richmond and a guy named Gwai who suffered from a heart attack. Gwai has no history of heart problems in his family which leads to the idea that the area he lives in is a large factor in his health. His life is full of stress from things such as not being able to pay his bills and violence that affects his families safety. The video also talks about Seattle and the effects inadequate housing has on health. Many people have asthma because the houses are not properly built and thing such as mold affect breathing abilities. These communities are working on ways to improve living conditions in order to maintain a healthier lifestyle.

There are most definitely non-genetic factors that explain these health disparities. All the factors I mentioned above and many more are non-genetic factors. Wealth, environment, violence, stress, diet, exercise, and many more things are all non-genetic factors that explain health disparities. These factors all affect a person’s lifestyle.