Place Matters

To my disbelief I was only able to answer 4 of them correctly, and that was mostly by guessing. The answers were quite shocking to say the least. The first, discouraging statistics is that we have better health care in America by twice and a half but our life expectancy is only ranked twenty- ninth. Many of the other countries are exceeding us by of fifteen years over the course of the past sixty years. The second the strongest predictor of health is based on wealth. However, the gap in wealth that 1% owned more than 90% combined was not surprising to me because the top 1% of those people inherited their money based on a article I had to read for a previous class.

The surroundings of a personal area where they live such as school, work or their environment can definitely affect a person’s health. When the factors are violence, stress and poor living environments. I know this from experience because I have lived through it. The case study “Place Matters” was very interesting to me because I was able to relate. There were two different neighborhoods one in Richmond, California the other Seattle, Washington. The study focused on aspects of the families economic, social and environments within a neighborhood.
In Richmond, California the main contributor was stress, which was causing poor health. The family lived in an area where certain disease such as heart disease was very common. This stress was cause by social and economic factors. Many of the individuals were living in areas were the crime rate was high; the violence caused stress on the younger generation because they were more affected physically and mentally. The male that was shown in the study had a heart attack at 49. He had a daughter that was only 15 that was killed. Alone, we see that he experience physiological and mental effects from these two problems. With these factors already occurring he had to still has to work in order to take care of bills which causes him to stress. The video states that people that live in Richmond put at least 30% of their monthly and annual income into their cars, food, health expenses, etc.
In Seattle, Washington, the low class areas receive grants to increase quality of life for residents. To make more areas more friendly and safe newer houses were built. Before the grant that the residents received to build new houses children suffered from asthma due to dust and mold. This was causing more money to be spent on hospital expenses. After the new renovations were done the resident’s children health increased and hospital bills declined. Thus the money that was used on hospital bills can be used on expenses such as food, rent, and other needed necessities.

These case studies express that genetics are not the only problem related to health issues. Environments and exposure to stress, violence and poverty can lead to heart diseases and other health related problems. Whereas, new renovations to low class environments, can decrease health issues such as asthma that occurred in Seattle. Genetics is only a portion of assessing health; there are many other factors that area affected.

source
http://www.unnaturalcauses.org/interactivities_01-11.php#q
http://anthropology.msu.edu/anp204-us14/schedule/unnatural-causes-5/

1. Alison Johnson says:

In Place Matters, I am seeing similarities to the case study in Greenville, MI. Outside factors can play a huge role in determining a person’s health. Based on the summary in this post, I think one major thing we need to work on is equality when it comes to living conditions. The difference between the places in Seattle and Richmond was the assistance they received. Both living conditions had a large amount of stress associated with them; however the people in Seattle were able to receive more assistance to increase their quality of life. My solution to improve the quality of everyone’s living conditions is not only political, but it’s also individual. It’s political because I feel that there should be equal opportunities for better living conditions no matter where you live. A person shouldn’t have to live in a certain town to be offered benefits. Moving onto the individual level of my solution is directly how these health problems affect a person. Poor living conditions and the environment surrounding a person can have detrimental effects to a person’s health. For example, the man in Richmond had a high stress environment he lived in and that could have added to the reason he had a heart attack at the age of 49.

2. Kelly Cummins says:

This case study included many social aspects to health that would be difficult to solve and would require extensive reinventions of those specific sociocultural systems. However for the group in Richmond, California, I think the thing that would be most beneficial in preventing their high rate of heart disease would be to work on reducing the crime rate. Also, by having the younger generations focus on school, they will be able to stay out of trouble, while preparing for their futures to eliminate the low income stress as well. By reducing stress on the community, they would be able to avoid the high rate of heart disease. For the group in Washington, this shows that by providing residents with the resources to improve their communities, they can quickly improve health by improving living conditions and giving them access to healthcare at the same time.
    My solutions are mostly political and economical. It is often more difficult to biologically solve a widespread health issue in a community. You have to instead, look into causes of the health disparity and solve it in a community-based way. Money and the economy is often at the root of community issues and through politics you can distribute funds in the most beneficial way to improve communities thus improving widespread health.
    I think the people most responsible for solving this health disparity are the locals and the government of the community. Doctors can only help once the health issue has become a problem in the community. Locals that have the resources, and government officials need to often step in to distribute funds and put programs in place to solve the health issues of their communities.

3. Widad Nasser says:

Based on your summary in this post, poor health was caused by the environment that these individuals lived in. Stress was caused by the poor living situations and the crime rate in the area. To solve this issue, I think that there should be more government assistants to the individuals with low income and grants should be given to the city to improve living conditions. Also, there should be more enforcement to control the crime rate. This solution is political, because if there was government intervention and more money was put into these cities, the people would live in better communities and the crime rate will go down because of it. If there were more money put into these communities by the government, there would not be poor areas vs. rich areas. Improving living conditions could, in a way, provide better jobs. People in every city would have equal living conditions. There shouldn’t be a reason for an individual to be scared to lose someone, or think about how they’re going to pay their bills. With political intervention, these problems would be solved, stress levels would decrease and good health would increase. That man in Richmond, California wouldn’t have lost his daughter and he wouldn’t have to stress about how he’s going to pay his bills.

4. Maureen John says:

The case study that you chose brings up some very important socioeconomic factors relating to ones health. I can also relate to this article as well. The environment that you grow up in definitely leaves an impact on your health. Growing up in a city that has a lower income rate and higher crime rate will increase the amount of stress in ones life. The solution that I think that needs to be implied is that Richmond, California should also receive grants for the low class. The grant money can significantly help low class families to pay for medical bills and other expenses which saves them money that can be used for groceries etc. This will help lower the stress levels in a lot of families that struggle economically. Another solution that can also help this growing problem is to implement a program to motivate kids to stay in school in Richmond. This way they can focus on their future and spend more time getting an education and less time getting in trouble on the streets. This will help lower the crime rate in Richmond and can help increase the income rate. I feel my solution is both political and economical. I feel that the government needs to work with the local government to solve this health disparity. The government needs to provide sufficient grants to the local government of Richmond who can distribute it to the low class families who qualify for the grants.

5. Ashley Lathrop says:

Nice pose Shardae. I got more answers wrong than you so don’t feel bad. I was kind of mad. The answers were shocking to me too! It made me upset that our country is lacking in many areas.

I honestly don’t know a good solution for this issue other than moving away from their current situation. To be honest, the best solution is for the local government and agencies to get involved and clean up the neighborhoods. The stress being put on residents due to crime and poor living conditions is too much and could be fixed but unfortunately it takes a lot of resources to make that happen. Furthermore, if people that live in these communities had better jobs and were able to provide better for themselves and their families, they would have the luxury to live in different places. Unfortunately, this is not true and in our country, the less fortunate are kept in poverty because they are unable to get jobs that will actually allow them to provide with one job. It would take the government and the community along with the local workforce to empower the community and allow them to provide themselves with a better life.