Title: Write the name of a “culture-bound syndrome” (CBS) you want to research further and the name of the culture it is associated with (e.g. “Anorexia in the United States”) – choose something different from the ones discussed in the lecture this week.
Body: (300 words)
- Find and summarize a scholarly, peer-reviewed article that discusses this CBS.
- Discuss the biological, cultural and individual dimensions of the illness.
- Explain how it is being evaluated/treated in various medical models/sectors of that culture.
- CITE YOUR SOURCES AT THE BOTTOM in Chicago Style
Comment: (200 words)
- Choose a post that identified a different CBS in their title
- Define the term “culture” in your own words (based on class materials) and explain why you think this illness should or shouldn’t be regarded as a CBS – what are the advantages/disadvantages?
- How might this condition be explained in a different ethnomedical system or in a different culture?