Sick Around the World

In the video “Sick Around the World” in the segment of the Japanese healthcare, the ones who provide the help and healing are the medical providers, similar to the physicians in our country. The visits to the doctor are very short ones that include the patient explaining any problems that might be occurring, pick up medication and the check of the blood pressure of the patient lasting no more than three to five minutes. There are no middlemen or gatekeepers in the Japanese medical system, patients are allowed to seek help or advice from any kind of specialist. There are no appointments made keeping the care fast and efficient, and the cost of receiving care is less than half of what the average American would pay for healthcare.

The Japanese medical systems is completely under a professional sector of health care with the Government being entirely involved with the payment system so that everyone in Japan receives the same healthcare. Most likely everyone is receiving some type of health care, if there are people who are not able to afford it, the government picks up bills of the less successful. The body and symptoms are understood and treated the same ways we do in our society, such as MRI, CAT scans, and any additional test, but they are fall less expensive which is the disadvantage for the healthcare providers of Japan. The health professional are 50% financial deficit because of such cheap. On the contrary it is US patients receiving the debit of health care.

In this kind of professional sector the government controls the only medical payment system they have which has been implemented for a while now, and it mostly benefits what is best for the patients. With the little healthcare they do receive at the sustainably low prices, the people of Japan are in very good health and their system seems to be working very well for them.

1. Danielle Boore says:

After reading this summary of “Sick Around the World” it seems that health care practices are almost identical to that of the United States, but they just come at a cheaper price. Although doctors in Japan do not make as much as doctors here it makes health care available to everyone which I think is an amazing quality. It sounds like doctors still get the same rewarding feeling in Japan in comparison to the United States because their practice seems very effective. Another positive of Japan’s healthcare is that their government is not in a tremendous amount of debt because they are not paying a ton of money to help the citizens. Also everyone is receiving the same healthcare no matter who is paying which is somewhat surprising to me, but in a good way. The fact that their system is very quick seems like another good quality. When I go to the doctor’s office I feel like I spend a majority of the time in the waiting room then I’m taken back to a room to wait longer for the doctor to come examine me for a couple of minutes, depending on the reason for my visit. Overall, I think Japan’s healthcare system seems like it is working out very well for them.

2. Amber Roberts says:

Based from Jamila’s summary of “Sick Around the World” it seems that Japan has similar health care practices as we do in the United States, however their office visits are much shorter in duration and care is far less expensive. While this health care system seems to be working well in Japan I can’t help but question a few aspects. In her summary, Jamilia says that office visits are quick and last no more than three to five minutes and that appointments aren’t necessary. I think that part of being a good physician is taking your time with patients to make sure you cover all the bases and give the right diagnosis. It also makes the patient more comfortable knowing that you care and aren’t trying to rush through the appointment. It also surprised me to see that contrary to the US where patients receive the debt of health care, in Japan health professionals are 50% financial deficit due to such cheap health care. Medical school is extremely expensive and if doctors aren’t receiving high enough salaries to pay off school and loans, then there will be no incentive to become a doctor and their numbers will surely decline. This could also be a potential reason why office visits are so short in Japan. Maybe they’re already experiencing a decline in doctors and in order for all patients to be seen they need to limit visits to just three to five minutes. Though Japan’s health care system seems to be working now, I can see a few cracks that may lead to some bigger problems in the future.