The soul is the Shaman’s responsibility

I chose to read about the article “A doctor for disease, a Shaman for the soul”. I was attracted to this article because it showed diversity of healing methods within the medical system which is something I am very interested in. I believe it is important in America, and other areas of such high diversity, to practice methods everyone is happy with and can relate to. As explained in the title Shamans are the healers of the soul. In this particular article the shamans was used to heal the Hmong people at the Medical Mercy Center in Merced. The shamans were introduced into the hospital to strengthen the bonds and trust between Hmong patients and western doctors. The Hmong people fear western medicine and bringing in a shaman, who is someone they are familiar with, helps them feel more comfortable. The Hmong people are very spiritual and don’t take a liking to western methods like surgery, anesthesia, and blood transfusions. I know from experience that many Asian cultures believe that what they came into this world with is what they will leave with. They believe in keeping the same blood, organs, and body parts that was given to them by God. Shamans perform healings by “soul calling” and chanting. Some shamans go into long trances in order to communicate with the spirits which require an animal sacrifice. Ceremonies often include the use of gongs, bells, and other spirit accelerators. In the hospital it is unlikely for the methods involving animals to take place and a lot of methods require permission from the hospital. I think it is so good that this hospital is cooperating and making adjustments so that everyone is happy and comfortable. It is good to see such diversity within the health care field. There are so many things traditional western medicine can learn from other cultures.