“I have diabetes”

The episode of  “True Life: I have diabetes” is about three young people Kristyn, Matt, and Jen who all have chronic diabetes. In order for them to stay alive they must track their blood sugar all day everyday. Kristyn, a 25 year old that is forced to move back home with her parents because of healthcare for diabetes becomes costly. She no longer qualified for her parents health insurance and eventually ended up losing it which put her is financial debt because of her costly healthcare.  She has been copping with  type I diabetes for the past fifteen years. Due her not being able to afford healthcare she is unable to purchase a new insulin pump. Matt, a college student with type I diabetes is a party animal who refuses to let his medical condition diabetes stop his partying. He’s trying to find a balance between life with diabetes and college/party life.  Then you have Jen, 19  who is pregnant and having trouble controlling her diabetes symptoms while she is pregnant. She was diagnosed with type II diabetes but it eventually was categorized as type I diabetes at the end.

As stated in lecture illness narratives are a way for a person affected by an illness to make sense of his/her experiences. In this episode of True Life the type of narrative that is being used for these young adults in my opinion is quest because although they all have chronic diabetes and they all suffer socially, they have a positive outlook on life. They all  still see that they have a long life ahead of them.

As far as experiences with medical professionals all three of them visited the doctors quite regularly. Due to their condition they have to be constantly in contact with medical professionals in order to keep their condition in balance. For the sick role, rights and responsibilities I’m pretty sure that all three of them are aware of their health condition. They know that their health is abnormal and they need health professions in order to live a healthy lifestyle. With that being said they need to find some type of balance tin order to live a normal healthy lifestyle. Diabetes is very common amongst our culture, it is a condition that many people are somewhat aware of although they might not know a lot about it. There is no negative stigma for people that have diabetes

The usefulness of illness narratives to patients/family/healthcare providers is important because based on this weeks lecture they are used in order to help patients  reveal their  social expectations and stigmas that often go along with a disease.

“Anthropolgy 204-Introduction to Medical Anthropology,” last modified July 21, 2014, http://anthropology.msu.edu/anp204-us14/