Title: Choose a medical condition from this week’s materials that you think is misunderstood in our culture (e.g. “Fibromyalgia” or “Type 1 Diabetes”)
Body: (300 words)
- Elaborate on the medical condition in your title and explain how culture and biomedicine can influence the illness experience? Use examples from the course materials to explain your answer. If you use outside sources, make sure to cite them at the bottom in Chicago style.
- How do you think this influences the management and treatment of this condition?
- What do you think the connection is between belief and healing? Use examples from the film “Placebo: Cracking the Code” as well as your own experiences.
Comment: (200 words)
- Select a post that discusses a different misunderstood medical condition
- What are/were your own (biomedical and cultural) perceptions of this illness?
- Now that you have gone through the course materials, elaborate on how these perceptions are influenced by your friends, family, social institutions, etc.