Male Postpartum Depression

Male Postpartum Depression can be defined as the depressed state men experience in the first year following birth of their child. It is more known for new mothers to experience such a thing but it turns out that roughly ten percent of men face the same depression following their significant other conceiving a child. In America, men are somewhat discouraged to express their feelings such as feeling sad or crying which could link with this depression. On top of that, men want to portray the image of being tough and “the man of the house” in supporting the wife and/or children. But without the accurate description of how a man feels relating to depression following birth, it is common for men to be misdiagnosed by medical practitioners.

Management and treatment of the condition may not be easy even more so if the males significant other is showing signs of the same depression as in the case of Craig Mullins (whom wrote the article and experienced postpartum depression). Craig describing the first year as leaving him feeling “confused, exhausted, helpless, alone, and trapped” believing he was simply not made out to be a father. Therefore assessing the depression early on is key to treating it. From there, many men respond well to antidepressants in promoting their sake of well-being as well as their possible marriage and promoting strength for their child to learn from.

I find believing to be the first step in healing. A man can hide from the so-called weakness in admitting and facing the problem of depression but until they access the condition, they will find themselves lost without answers as Craig described in the article. Although it may be less serious in terms of individual health, even as it pertains to a bad grade on an exam, it is not until you come to terms with the fact you need to change study habits and re-access how you approach the next exam that you will be able to put the bad grade in the past and improve your chances for the future. “Placebo: cracking the code” demonstrated the placebo effect with patients expecting Arthroscopic surgery to simply be put under, cut into, healed, and released. Sylvester Colligan, a military veteran demonstrated the same improvement as those patients whom actually received surgery proving that with belief came his ideology of healing like never seen before.

Katherine Stone Postpartum Progress Blog. “Depression in Men: A Dad’s Story of Male Postpartum Depression”. April 24, 2012. http://www.postpartumprogress.com/depression-in-men-a-dads-story-of-male-postpartum-depression

Nicolas Humphrey. “Placebo: Cracking the Code”. Youtube video. November 5, 2011.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvbQnMvhQFw

1. Jamila Carver says:

When I think of Male Postpartum Depression I knew it was something that happen but thought it was something more common that what it actually is. I do understand that when an environment of an individual changes one has to go through the procedure of adapting to be able to survive in such environment. When I think about Male Postpartum Depression I think of infidelities that happen in relationships or marriages subsequent after child birth. I am not sure if this type of depression has something to do with that, but it could easily have an effect. When these men are feeling discouraged or sad in this new environment they might seek uplifting elsewhere causing more stress on the family. My thoughts about Male postpartum depression stems from what I have picked up from friends and family, with the mindset of the Male just not being strong enough when taking on the head lead of the house when the woman is going through motherhood. After doing some research my thoughts can simply be modified to more of a biomedical conclusion, though I felt that with this illness it would possibly be treated with some testosterone, to build the masculinity back up within the males that are affected.