Tourette Syndrome

I feel people with the Tourette Syndrome are really looked over and misunderstood. Tourette is a disorder where a person can have tics through motor actions or verbal communication. Motor tics can be things like eye, head jerking or foot stamping. Then there is verbal tics such as throat clearing, making clicking sounds, repeated sniffing, yelping, or shouting. Our culture mimics Tourette symbolizing it with its rare symptom of the outburst of profanity. There are many other symptoms that occur that might happen in undiagnosed patients who we might think are just having a bad day or going through a tough situation at the moment. This illness could be really misunderstood in children. A teacher might have a student where she think is the ring leader of a misbehaving group and punishes him hoping to start a placebo affect for the other classmates to behave correctly. This idea might work for the other following classmates but yet we still have the leading child acting in a way that causes a disruption to the classroom environment, doing things like shouting or making unnecessary sounds. Some might get Tourette confused with ADHD and OCD and treat it as such, possibly thinking reason for the misbehaving in class is from the child is not be able to focus.

If it is not furthered looked into lots of kids can get misdiagnosed and might prolong the time to getting an actual cause to help the ones it is affecting. I do not think this is something that could be treated as placebo treatment. After reading the abstract of a journal article where they tried this approach, come changes happened but not enough to prove that the placebo was stronger than the biomedical approach.

The connection to belief and healing is the neurological effect through any kind of treatment. The body knows exactly how to run and function on its own. If there is any kind of illness wrong with the body, just a little help and belief that everything will or has gotten better through spiritual beliefs, medical beliefs, or whatever people seek to find healing, it will help the body itself believe that it can solve this problem, as if the neurological thoughts sends messages to the affected area.

Abram , Harry. “Tourette Syndrome .” . http://kidshealth.org/teen/diseases_conditions/brain_nervous/tourette.html# (accessed July 22, 2014).

Scahill, L , JF Leckman, RT Schultz , L Katsovich , and BS Peterson . “A placebo-controlled trial of risperidone in Tourette syndrome.”Neurology 60: 1130-1135.

1. Shelby Brewington says:

My own perceptions of this illness have evolved since I have grown up. I think when I was younger since I did not fully under stand the disease, I did not take treat it as such. I now view tourette syndrome as an illness. One that can take many different forms. Some people who simply twitch from time to time may have this illness. Others with tourette’s syndrome have much more obvious forms such as screaming, making one particular loud noise or gesture. I remember when I was young there was a woman who went to my families church. She would in the middle of the mass start making odd screeching noises. I remember thinking maybe she was autistic, but it wasn’t till I was a bit older that I realized she suffered tourette’s which caused uncontrollable bodily actions. After hearing all about this illness it changed my perspective and I felt strong empathy for those who had this illness. I do not allow my perceptions to be influenced by other people or outside social institutions. This is because I have found that many people are ignorant when it comes to this illness, and laugh at those with this illness for their actions that are out of their control. I find it cruel and think it is a reason this illness has not been cured. People simply don’t take it seriously.

2. Tyler Lambert says:

My perceptions of Tourette Syndrome has changed and evolved as my understanding of the syndrome grew. When I was younger my only experiences with Tourette was early in school. I remember this individual had many verbal ticks, that ultimately became a distraction to the classroom. I believe this child was misdiagnosed for quite some time. Teachers and other staff members accused the individual of intentionally disrupting class and other settings. The cultural perception of Tourette only backed their assumptions. The following year the individual was receiving more one on one help and was being treated accordingly. I now understand Tourette involves a number of clinical manifestations not limited to just verbal ticks.
    Today I would assume Tourette is taken more seriously at a young age and neurological treatment/assessment would follow any diagnosis. However, generally speaking I have not seen the cultural perception of Tourette syndrome change in the last 10 years. I believe most people in our culture would associate Tourette syndrome mainly with verbal ticks or outburst. I have had little personal interaction with Tourette syndrome since grade school so friends and family have not influenced my perceptions. Looking at the course materials and the information I have gathered for my weebly website on mental illness, (schizophrenia specifically) I understand the importance of diagnosing and treating mental illness. Individuals who suffer from mental illness more often than not have a harder time caring for themselves relying on friends, family, and the community for support.