Diabetes Type 1

I have chosen to discuss type one diabetes because at the moment I am working at a camp for kids and there are two campers with Type one Diabetes. I work in the clinic so I am very active in these campers experience, making sure they are healthy and safe while also giving them the normal camp experience. One of the most misunderstood elements about Diabetes is not everyone who has it is over weight. Some kids are just born with it and have to learn to live with diabetes. Having this illness is something they have to deal with everyday and every time they eat or drink anything they need to be aware of what it contains. Having diabetes does not limit what you are able to eat, the patient just has to adjust their insulin to the correct amount depending on what they eat. Observing these kids at camp has given me a new perspective and taking this class has also been able to teach me more what it is like to live each day with diabetes.  I think that the misunderstandings of having diabetes could make some people embarrassed or shy about their illness. Maybe not wanting to eat things because then they will need to check the ingredients or change their amount of insulin.

Healing and believing are seen to be so intertwined in the knee surgery and with mental orders such as depression. However, I think with diabetes this might not be the case. I do not think that because a patient believes they have been cured from diabetes would make them actually cured. It could be very dangerous for a diabetic patient to stop using their medication properly. Having diabetes is a culture in its self because it is such a demanding illness that changes the every day lives of these patients.

1. Drew Selden says:

I used to think that people with diabetes were people who ate unhealthy foods, didn’t excercise, and were generally over weight. The unhealthy food and lack of exercise contributed to being over weight and then being over weight made a person with diabetes depressed or give up on trying to live a healthy lifestyle. It was a vicious cycle. I honestly thought people with diabetes could ‘beat’ the illness by making better, more healthy lifestyle choices. I thought people with the illness could exercise and weight lift along with limiting the amount of ‘bad’ sugars they ate, could drastically limit the effect of diabetes.
    When I was in high school there was one girl who was a Junior when I was a Freshman that had diabetes. She was over weight, didn’t play any sports or join any extracurricular activities and would always have an excuse to not participate in gym class. She always used the illness as a crutch to not have to participate in anything. I remember people would always be like “well what do you expect she doesn’t even try to eat healthy and can’t even run one lap in gym class, that is what happens when you let yourself go.” She got picked on a lot and I remember telling myself that I didn’t want to end up like that. I also remember learning about adult onset type II diabetes and how it was generally related to over weight adults who had unhealthy eating habits and made poor lifestyle health choices.
    The perceptions I had of the illness were definitely influenced by other kids at the school. I didn’t know about the insulin deficiency and that some people were just born with it. Also, I never remember any teacher or counselor say that she couldn’t help it and that it was just who she was and not to tease or mock her because she couldn’t help it.