I Have Traumatic Brain Injury

The article I chose to summarize was “True Life: I Have Traumatic Brain Injury”. The type of narrative that is used is a quest, where the quest is for the victims of the accidents to restore themselves to be a ‘normal’ human being. I think the use of narrative is very effective in getting the point across, where the audience is expected to sympathize and be very supportive of the victims. The narrative portrays the victims to be outsiders in our culture. In the video, the victims cannot successfully socialize with the surrounding environment, and often, the friends and family who socialize with the victims do not know how to effectively socialize with them. When one of the victims were reunited with one of their former classmates, one of the classmates was very uncomfortable socializing with the victim and ended the conversation much sooner than normal, because he didn’t know what to talk about. The experiences with the medical professionals were also awkward. The victims claimed that they have never met any of the doctors before, even though they have met with each other many times in the past. When the doctor would show pictures of the victims before the accident happend, the victims claimed that the accident never happend and those pictures were not real. It was very difficult for the medical professional and the victim to have any sort of relationship with each other. The sick role for these patients was similar to any other handicapped person, or any chronic condition in which the patient will have the condition for the rest of their life. These patients wanted to be treated as any other ‘normal’ person, but understood that it would be hard due to their condition. These narratives could be very motivational to anybody who has the illness, or any similar condition to fight the odds against their condition.