Type 1 Diabetes

The medical condition of type one diabetes is often misunderstood in the United States because of both our culture and biomedicine. Culture influences the condition because diabetes is often associated with obesity. Many people do not understand the difference between type one and type two diabetes. This leads some people think of the condition negatively because they think people brought it on themselves by becoming overweight and developing it when that is not the case. People with type one diabetes have no control, however, over developing it  and are often born with it or develop it during childhood. It can also cause them to gain weight which our culture reacts poorly to. Biomedicine can influence the experience people have with type one diabetes because it allows them to lead full and relatively normal lives. People with type one diabetes do have to put in a lot of work counting carbs and regulating blood sugar levels but can live a regular life other than that. Biomedicine has made this possible by providing diabetes patients with insulin pumps, insulin shots, and blood glucose meters. That is how most people are able to manage and treat their condition. There is, however, no actual cure for diabetes even though scientists have been researching one for a while. I think that there is an extremely prevalent connection between belief and healing in the body. There is now other way to explain how the placebo effect works other than the sheer power of mental belief in forms of treatment. In my life I have seen examples of this effect take place many times. One specific example is when I used to baby sit a girl, she would complain about having stomach aches all of the time and I would give her “special tummy mints” (they were just altoids) and she would instantly feel better and have no pain. I also often think that the medical miracle stories you often hear about in the news must be a result of this principal.