Autism

The episode that I watched was about the Benjamin Family. There are two sons and one of them has Autism and the other has Asperger’s Syndrome. Their parents are very loving and supportive, but now the boys are in their twenties and the parents want to teach them independence. The episode shows, with the help of their friend and social worker they throw a dinner party and invite guests without their parents.

I think this episode was told with the quest narrative. It showed their journey to independence and was positive and uplifting to watch. It showed their individual growth and there was an emphasis on their emotional well-being. The reason why they threw the dinner was for them to learn to believe in themselves and feel more comfortable. When watching it I could not help but smile, their sense of humor is great. They used this platform to inspire others who have autism or are on the autism spectrum.

I think this episode was a breath of fresh air. Most often, people on the autism spectrum get their “flaws” pointed out. They are seen as weird, rude, or socially unaccepted, but this time they were able to break the culture barrier and be heard. Their sick role in properly understood with their family and friends. I noticed the amount of patience and understanding that the people in their lives had. With the proper diagnosis there is a better understanding of what they go through.

They did not have a medical professional in the video. Instead the family has a social worker. I think that this is the best choice for them. There is no cure for the autism spectrum, but you can focus on the quality of life that those people live. More people are starting to understand the syndrome better and are able to properly treat individuals.

Karim, Taz. “4.1 Experiencing Illness.” Class Lecture, ANP 204, East Lansing, MI, July 25, 2014.

Karim, Taz. “4.2 Illness Narratives.” Class Lecture, ANP 204, East Lansing, MI, July 25, 2014.