Fibromyalgia

The medical condition I chose is Fibromyalgia. I heard of Fibromyalgia but I was not fully aware of everything dealing with this syndrome so it was pretty interesting to learn about it. “Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that is characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues.” According to researchers they believe that your fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals. Certain events in your life can trigger the symptoms of Fibromyalgia are physical trauma, infection, surgery or significant psychological stress. The article also states that women are more likely to develop fibromyalgia than men.

With having fibromyalgia you usually have tension headaches, temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ) irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety as well as depression. Unfortunately there is no cure for fibromyalgia but there are different medications one can take to help control the symptoms as well as exercise, relaxation and stress-reduction measures may be a huge help.

According to the reading if you have the type A personality, having fibromyalgia will probably cause for you to go insane. This syndrome is not quite understood biologically so biomedicine cannot really have an influence on the syndrome. You cannot control I fibromyalgia and the symptoms vary depending on the person. It was interesting to learn that differ parts on a person’s body hurts each day and they have no idea where the pain is going to be. On the other hand due to a person’s mood that can affect their body from a dull ache, sharp-shooting pain, burning or itching and so much more.

When watching the film Placebo: Cracking the Code I would have to agree with and not only because I have heard it before but I believe that it actually words.  A person can heal themselves with their mind. With using placebos you can alter your body by how you view a certain situations. All you have to do it have a positive attitude and believe that your body can heal itself or that you don’t need healing because there is nothing wrong with you. For example a fake surgery was done to heal the pain of osteoarthritis and it actually became a success or the woman who believed that taking antidepressants helped her get over her depression. Sometimes your mind is all of the medicine you need to heal yourself. 

Mayo Clinic. “Fibromyalgia.” Definition. Accessed July 22, 2014. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fibromyalgia/basics/definition/con-20019243.