I have Social Anxiety

In this episode of True Life: I Have Social Anxiety is a story that focuses on two people who suffer from social anxiety. You have Nonie who is 21 years old lives with parents and never wants to leave the house and when she does she feels sick when she comes in contact with people. Attention makes her nervous and she feels that people are disgusted with her. Started college and couldn’t finish because she is too nervous to even go to class and just the thought of it gives her a panic attack. She doesn’t really leave the house until the evening because she feels like people cannot see her as much. She wants to cry when she is out in public. On the other hand, Scott wants to talk to a girl but he has a difficult time doing so he is so focused on how they view him. He lives and works from his parents’ home and he does not like to leave the house. His case was different because he was normal until he got bullied in the 6th grade and the situation took a toll on him and his fear worsened with time. He does therapy with meditation and music which is supposed to help lower anxiety. They both understand that social anxiety is ruining their life and they want to get over it so they both seek out help. It shocks me on how much being out in public scares them.

Scott is very willing to seek help while Nonie is terrible on the other hand to still go out in public. He knows his problem and he is handling the situation head on. With doing so he is able to talk to attractive females, he is overcoming his anxiety. Scott is making progress in his life and he feels so great about himself that he never wants to go back to how he used to be.

Nonie is very scared and she turns for medicine to help her with her anxiety. She doesn’t take her anxiety head on and she relies on something else to help her. She feels as if she will never get over it, but she hopes that one day can cope with it. She eventually stopped taking the medicine and her anxiety returned but she is still terrified to get help.

1. Drew Selden says:

I found a story about a famous athlete who suffers/suffered from the same type of social anxiety that Nonie and Scott does. Ricky Williams was a Heisman Trophy winner in college and picked 5th overall in the NFL draft. He became even more of a celebrity overnight (after the draft) and was pushed into the limelight right at the beginning of his professional career. He was expected to perform and was under a lot of strutiny by coaches, fellow players, the media, and even his family. Ricky was 23 and a millionaire who had everything but said he was never more unhappy in his life. Ricky also states that he felt extremely isolated from his family and friends because he couldn’t explain what or how he was feeling because he had no idea what was wrong with him. During his rookie season he was often portrayed by the media as ‘not all there’ shy, or even weird. He was known to do media interviews with his helmet still on and would shy away from fans or even avoid them all together.
    A good friend of Ricky suggested he should go see a therapist, which he did, and was later diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder. Ricky said, “After i was diagnosed I felt immense relief because it meant there was a name for my suffering. I wasn’t crazy or weird, like I thought for so many years” He was prescribed an antidepressant in combination with therapy as part of his treatment and said “soon after I began to feel like the real Ricky Williams”
    I think Ricky’s story is a little different than what the two people on True Life were feeling because Ricky was almost forced into the situations that escalated his social phobia. Part of your job as a professional athlete, especially one with a big name and such high expectations to perform, is to deal with the media and interact with fans and help build the reputation for the team and city that hosts the team. I also think Ricky got lucky in a sense because he was part of the “macho” culture that is part of being on a football team. Physical injuries are pretty common and able to be treated and healed but a psychological problem among the same ‘macho’ culture is generally seen as a weakness of character and potentially a liability for the team.

“Ricky Williams: A Story of Social Anxiety Disorder | Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA.” Ricky Williams: A Story of Social Anxiety Disorder | Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA. http://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/personal-stories/ricky-williams-story-social-anxiety-disorder (accessed July 27, 2014).

2. Danielle Boore says:

I found a documentary on youtube that interviewed four people all suffering from social anxiety. This particular video defined social anxiety as an extreme fear of being watched and judged by others in social or performance situations. Tim mainly suffers from the fear of rejection, however, he has a had therapist for a long time that he states has been extremely helpful. His therapist has talked him through depression and out of suicide. Chris has always been involved but he stays in the back. Usually sitting the back of the classroom keeping himself in constant motion to take away some of the nerves. He has tried to be interviewed as a type of treatment but said that different treatments work for different people depending on what type of social anxiety they suffer from. Lauren feels like she is always being watched. Even when she looks around a room and sees o one is looking at her she sill does not feel at peace. Ashley has always felt like she has had to keep to herself. She surrounds herself with people she knows and is comfortable around. Ashley has also been coached how to talk to people by her bosses. Chris and Lauren both turn to music like Cherie mentioned above. I found it interesting how Chris mentioned that walking around campus 75-80 percent of people walk around with their headphones in wondering if any of these people experience the same fear of conversation that he does. Ashley blames her father for feeling the way she does about social interactions. The treatments mentioned in the video include relaxation exercises, cognitive behavioral therapy and medication.

Social Anxiety Disorder

“Social Anxiety Disorder Documentary by Katie Haptonstahl.” YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 27 July 2014. .

3. holechri says:

So I really found this topic super interesting because it is something that I once struggled with at one point in my life. Eventually time moved on and I grew up more and got over any form of anxiety. I never had it that bad, mainly when I would hear peers snicker upon entry and when I would speak and things, but that also seems like low self esteem. I find that these kind of things are affected mainly through low self esteem that is generated through our modern society. In the video I chose, A girl narrates her daily life with her social anxiety preceded by a brief introduction as to how social anxiety feels for her in certain situations. I think the primary factors as to what generates social anxiety is our society’s need to 1.) be perfect, 2.) have constant communication, and 3.) reenact what we see in the media and social media. The combination of these three factors twisted into one entity creates a problem, especially for young teens, with self esteem and the constant fear that something embarrassing may happen to them and be spread around everywhere within a second after the initial moment happens.

Here Is The Girl

“LIVING WITH SOCIAL ANXIETY.” YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 27 July 2014