I’m addicted to caffeine

I chose to summarize the episode “I’m addicted to caffeine” . This episode was about 3 young individuals who suffer from being addicted to caffeine and can’t go a day without caffeine and also must consume large portions of it daily or else they will have serious withdraws from not having caffeine. All of the people in this episode has suffered from serious health issues such as seizures, pregnancy complications and others. For the girl Leandra, it was really hard for her to quit taking in so much caffeine and she seemed like she didn’t really care about the consequences that could occur with drinking too much of it.  I believe the purpose of them drinking and becoming addicted to caffeine was due to the long hours at work and not getting off work until late, which causes them to be out of energy and have to rely on coffee and energy drinks to keep them going to make it through the long days of work. Another reason why a person may consume caffeine too much would probably be the stress and pressure of having to take care of the household and raise the kids. I would say that this episode is similar to a chaos narrative because it had to do with people suffering socially and in other ways and feeling isolated when the withdrawals of not having caffeine come into play. The people suffering from the addiction of caffeine don’t actually have a bad stigma because it is a legal drug and most people who consume caffeine doesn’t just get automatically crazy in the brain. There were experiences with medical professionals. For example, in this episode, the girl who was pregnant went to go see her OB/GYN because she was worries about consuming caffeine while being pregnant. I don’t really think theres a sick role being presented with those 3 people in the episode. Illness narratives could be really useful because they help suffering individuals and their families cope and deal with the bad things going on in their life. For example, illness narratives was mentioned in the reading about women suffering from chronic pain.

Werner, Anne, Lise W. Isaksen, and Kirsti Malterud. “I am not the kind of women who complains of everything: illness stories on self and shame in women with chronic pain.” Social science and medicine 59 (2004): 1035-45.

Lecture 4.2 Illness Narratives. Week 4: Experimental Approach. ANP 204 course

1. Ben Caldwell says:

I found a blog post online where the author addressed his caffeine addiction and how he quit. The blog was particularly interesting in that the author updated his post each day for the first week of being caffeine free. From the author of this post’s description of the True Life episode, the people featured may have had a more severe addiction than the blog author. Despite his less severe addiction, the blog author’s narrative still describe how arduous quitting can be. An important thing to realize about caffeine addiction is how widespread it may be. I can say anecdotally that my house (4 guys) goes through 2 pots of coffee a day. Our reason for caffeine consumption is the same as the people in the True Life episode and the Blog author, energy to focus and get through the day. It’s concerning to me how detrimental caffeine can be to a person’s health, and yet most people in school and in the workforce rely on it. It also makes me consider the fact that caffeine is being marketed toward even younger demographics. It isn’t uncommon to see kids, even young kids, to be drinking copious amounts of energy drinks like Monster and Redbull. These drinks are marketed as being “extreme” and may be putting people at risk of becoming addicted to caffeine at an even younger age.
    Quittem, Brandon. “How I quit coffee cold turkey and the first 7 days without caffeine (hint: it sucked).” The Yoga Nomads. Jan. 15, 2014.