Male Postpartum Depression

I chose to write about male postpartum depression for this week’s reflection post. People always discuss postpartum depression in females and mothers but not in males. The issue of postpartum depression in males is not as well known or discussed in our society. Our culture struggles to accept the illness for females, which makes it even tougher to accept it in males. Most males are never even diagnosed or try to treat their postpartum depression. Most men try to ignore this illness in order to maintain their “manhood” and so that they don’t appear weak to their wife or kids. According to an article from the Journal of Community Nursing, men tend to experience different signs and symptoms of postpartum depression, such as aggression and substance abuse.   These symptoms aren’t as acknowledged as symptoms women face and for that reason, male postpartum isn’t usually diagnosed.

I think that belief and healing are very connected. In the video, “Placebo: Cracking the Code” about 2/3 of doctors admitted that they have knowingly prescribed a placebo. If a person truly believes in the treatment and has positive thoughts, it has shown that it can help heal a person. Janice was in an experiment where half of the people were administered a placebo and the other half were given actual medicine. Janice immediately felt happier and more positive. She later found out that she was given a placebo an was absolutely shocked. She felt better the whole time while taking the placebo because of the placebo effect. In my own personal experience, I tend to get headaches a couple times a week. Instead of taking Ibuprofen or some type of medicine, I usually take a bath or put a heating pad on my neck and it always makes my headache go away. I truly believe that these treatments, although not made specifically for headaches, help heal me.

O’Connell-Binns, Katie. “Men’s Mental Health During the First Year Postpartum: Katie O’Connell-Binns, Discusses the Relationship Between Poor Mental Health and the Birth of a New Baby.” Journal of Community Nursing, 23.7 (2009): 4+. http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA204482598&v=2.1&u=msu_main&it=r&p=GPS&sw=w&asid=48417c0e376e2fcba8950cc56bba73a9