Male Postpartum Depression

Male postpartum depression sadly, is not as well known as postpartum depression in women. And because of this, new fathers go through a rough time after the birth of a child and some even have no idea that they are experiencing the problem. About 10.4% of new Dads experience postpartum depression. This depression is known to have an effect on the well being of the child, marriages, and the person’s well being. A very important issue comes from the fact that this condition goes untreated in so many cases and because of this, treatment may not be as readily available or assessable. Some men may even be misdiagnosed by their physicians and not know they have the condition at all. This is truly an issue because with counseling and antidepressants, this condition of postpartum depression can be managed.

I think that the connection between belief and healing stems from the fact that people make themselves believe that they can be cured of whatever condition they have. From a religious stand point, the connection between healing and belief can be explained also. People, who tend to be religious, believe that whoever is in a higher power has the ability to deliver them from whatever sickness they have. Their faith is what keeps them going and can make their healing process easier and possible. Strong will is something that will come to my mind and reminds me of the placebo effect. With studies showing that it does work, I believe that there should be more research on this way of healing. This research should also show evidence of the connection between belief and healing. I personally believe that the placebo effect has the potential to be more beneficial than it is now, and with the research and advancement of medicine in this country and others alike, can help many people.

1. Pamela Perez says:

From my own standpoint, male post-partum depression was definitely a real condition. I have experienced it within my own culture and have seen people try to deal with it through biomedical means. I’ve never exactly considered it a full on ‘illness,’ depending on the level of depression that the individual is experiencing. I’ve always felt accepting of post-partum depression within the male population because it was natural, ya know? At least coming from a Hispanic culture, you see a lot of men who have a newborn and start feeling as though they wont be able to offer their son/daughter the type of life they deserve given their circumstances. Of course, with the ‘macho-man’ personas and masculinity ideals that most Latino men have, it was easy to understand why a lot of men hide it or don’t even know they are going through it. My perceptions of these men hasn’t changed in reference to my environment, friends, family, etc.. However, they influenced the way I would approach male post-partum depression. Many people give it a negative light, deeming it unmanly, unreal, or unnecessary for a man to go through those type of emotional ‘phases.’ Because they have been seen in this light by the people around me, I decided to see it at a more acceptingly ‘human’ level-if you will. What parent isn’t concerned about whether or not they are apt to provide for their child, especially after a year of their birth-that’s where it really gets hard. Holding a life in your hands and knowing you’ll have to help mold it is a heavy burden sometimes. I’m not saying it’s entirely good to go through this depressive phase because it can become serious, but it definitely shouldn’t be cause to ostracize people like we do in this society. We are the only humans who separate our own people on the basis of differences, sending these men to institutions where they can ‘get better’ or ‘cope’ or finding support groups where these men can talk about what troubles them without having the whole world hear them out. Is this entirely a bad idea? Probably not, but it is one of the many ways in which our perceptions of things like male post-partum depression come from-our societal influences.