Type 1 Diabetes

Type 1 diabetes is not normally what is heard by the masses. Normally what is heard I just the word, “diabetes”, and when only diabetes is used (as opposed to distinguishing between types I and II) this conjures very distinct images in one’s mind. The stereotype is usually that of a geriatric patient or someone who is at least middle-aged and obese. This is drastically different fomr the young little girl we saw in this week’s YouTube video, and that’s the point: there is a stereotype associated with diseases and the general public does not know any better nor do they even know of the distinguishing factors that separates the subtypes of diabetes. So when it comes to patients seeking out treatment for diabetes, you would think that if the patient did not fit the particular stereotype for the disease then they may not even harbor the idea of having the disease and thus not seek treatment out of ignorance

I really don’t think that the stereotype that the general public has is a deterrent at all when it comes to seeking medical treatment for type I diabetes. It’s a legitimately documented medical condition that needs to be treated regularly or else the person might die or suffer irreversible damage neurological damage. When it comes to young children such as Anna, I think it takes a very mature person to be able to look at a disease like diabetes and accept the new life style changes that need to be made. Children can be quite cruel and apathetic and I would assume that some amount of bullying could deter younger patients from correctly utilizing the proper treatment. It’s also not exactly liberating for an adolescent to have to wear a pump. This is no doubt another factor that compounds to the already limiting effects of this disease.

In terms of belief and faith healing, I think one thing holds true in all cases: The body has the ability to heal itself. Now whether or not that ability is truly being expressed in a patient’s body or not is a different question. But the fact remains that the individual with the elephant skin had his condition clear up within a week’s time. His body had the mechanisms already built in to rid itself of the disease, the mechanisms just weren’t being utilized yet. If one were to fall and scrape one’s knee, you would find that within a few days the cut would heal, this is an intrinsic property of life. The elephant skin man’s condition was no different. If these mechanisms reside in the body (which they do), and the body is governed and under the ultimate control of the nervous system, then it does stand to reason that the patient’s invested emotions in a particular healing method could be enough to “jump start” the nervous system and put forth the necessary motions (by way of already established healing mechanisms) to rectify the patient’s condition.

1. Meredith Joseph says:

When type one diabetes is mentioned I do tend to imagine older unhealthy people. This is my mind grouping type one and type two diabetes all in one category. In general when I think of diabetes I think of unhealthy life styles and obese people. Over the years I have met people my age who have type one diabetes and from being friends with them I have learned about the illness and seen what they have to go through. Having an insulin pump attached to you all the time and having to poke your finger with a needle everyday is not ideal for a teenager. Our culture sees diabetes as an illness for older unhealthy people, and forgets to look at the whole spectrum of people affected by two very different forms of diabetes. Bio medically type one diabetes can be formed at any age and it is an unbalance of insulin in the body. Insulin pumps are usually used and sugar usually has to be tested daily. For type two diabetes a healthier life style and keeping ones weight under control can prevent the illness. If one does need medical treatment for type two diabetes shots of insulin or pumps can be used. Healthy diets and exercise are also very important. Now a days type two diabetes is being seen in younger children. I think my friends with type one diabetes taught me a lot more about to illness and made me more aware of the different types of diabetes. Having a healthy family that stays active and eats healthy I never really thought about being affected by diabetes, but I now know anyone could get the illness.

2. holechri says:

For Diabetes it is interesting to see the comparison to what we think of when someone with diabetes is spoken about compared to some of the real world cases. For diabetes, we often times imagine those who live unhealthy lifestyles such as obese older folks who eat far too unhealthy as well s do not exercise. In this example, the girl from what we saw in class today shows that we are often times wrong as what we think of when we imagine such cases. In my opinion, culture in the US has given us this mindset primarily because of the lifestyle we see with the increase in obesity within the population. I have never known many people with diabetes, just two of them, but they actually seemed to live a normal and rather healthy lifestyle. They also were rather young, one being in middle school while the other was a classmate upon entering college. These images of what a person who suffers with diabetes looks like come from worst case scenarios being what we use as examples. Websites like web MD provide a slightly different angle at what I am trying to say as they always lead to the worst possible situation when they link symptoms to disease. We as people do the same thing in our minds. When we think of cancer, we imagine those in final stages of cancer. Same with the diabetes example, we imagine the largest most obese middle ages person we can think of.