Title: Pick a condition that you feel is heavily medicalized or biomedicalized in our society (e.g. “Obesity”)
Body: (300 words)
- Describe the role of medications in American society in the contexts of medicalization and biomedicalization? What does it say about our cultural values and ideologies about health, wellbeing and success? Use examples from the readings and film.
- Find a link to an advertisement for a medication that treats this condition and include it in your post
- Using my birth control lecture as an example, identify the following elements in your advertisement:
o Cultural values and ideologies
o Social Roles
o Presentation of medical information
o Doctor patient interactions
o Other advertising strategies
Comment: (200 words)
- Pick a post with a different condition and look at the advertisement they are analyzing
- Describe the cultural, political, economic, historical, etc. forces that now re-frame this condition as an “illness” that requires biomedical intervention? Refer to the Conrad article for ideas on how to explain this.
- CITE YOUR SOURCES AT THE BOTTOM in Chicago Style