Male/Female

I think that the term “culture of biomedicine” explains health in terms of the biology aspect. Based on what I learned in lecture”culture of biomedicine” is an important concept because it examines and emphasizes the importance of the anatomy (body structure) and physiology (body systems) in order to maintain health and treat diseases. Culture is used to outline the reasons why we base our medical system on biomedicine. Culture of biomedicine is also used for social ideals which has an influence on the treatment of patients and prevalence of biomedical symbols. I believe that in order for a person to truly understand and be able to evaluate biomedicine; western culture has to first be considered. With that being said culture has to be taken into account because biology can’t be the only determining factor of biomedicine.

Although I never heard of the term “dichotomy” until this lecture, I am somewhat familiar with this concept based off of what I learned from this lecture. Some of my personal views on dichotomy are that dichotomies were created in order to characterize and distinguish between two groups that are of opposites. I think that my views of dichotomies may have derived from everyday life. From the time you are born you abide by societies standards of how a boy or girl should act.

I think that dichotomies arise from the assumption that seem logical, natural and true in western society based off of the gender roles in which we are assign to at birth; male and female. Due to our different gender roles and our sex it makes it logical to accept dichotomy. Western medicine believes that there is a physical separation between males and females. In my opinion this assumption comes from our culture and is determined based on biological and cultural factors.

1. Hannah Weiss says:

The male/female dichotomy is one of the oldest and most comfortable in our society. It is important for clinicians to understand this dichotomy because male and female bodies are different. For instance, if a patient comes in with lower abdominal pain you can rule out uterus cramps if the professional knows its a male. If a female comes in with lower abdominal pain the clinician will know to further exam the female reproductive system. The male and female physiology helps to categorize certain diseases and illnesses seen in our society. Statistically men and women have different probabilities for certain kinds of cancer, heart disease, and infections. It is in the doctor and patients best interest to understand the differences between males and females. The difficulties that can arise when taking this dichotomy for fact are the implications of a possible third gender. Some cultures around the world have added a third gender. For example the Hijra’s in India. A patient who is neither female nor male breaks this dichotomy which makes it difficult for our culture to accept and understand these individuals. It can make it hard for doctors to understand their patients if they are not categorized as one or the other.