Nature/Culture

The phrase, “culture of biomedicine,” has a complex description. Biomedicine emphasizes the biology, or physiology and anatomy, of the human body in determining the treatment of an illness. Culture plays a role in how one understands and experiences their treatment. The culture in which biomedicine is most prevalent is that of western society. Therefore, I would say that the culture of biomedicine is the practice of biomedicine, influenced on behalf of western culture. This concept is important because it is the basis for how the people of western society experience an illness along with its treatment. According to lecture, biomedicine is one of the most influential cultural institutions in western society.

I think that my personal views on dichotomy are influenced by my parents, friends and society as a whole. My parent’s views on topics of dichotomy were passed down to me by observation and their teachings. Society or more specifically, media, is a huge influencer on today’s beliefs of topics such as what defines male versus female and a man versus a woman.

One example of a dichotomy from lecture that makes up biomedicine is the idea of nature being separate from culture. We learned in prior lectures that illness can not be explained solely based on one’s biology. Culture and other factors must be taken into account in order to fully understand an illness and decipher the proper treatment. Many believe this dichotomy of nature and culture to be true. I think this is a result of many people wanting to blame their illnesses on uncontrollable circumstances, like one’s genes, rather than taking responsibility for it. For example, one might blame their family history of diabetes as the result of their illness, rather than the lifestyle they had chosen for themselves which put them in the vulnerable position of contracting the disease. In addition, many people may believe a dichotomy to be logical simply because that is what society tells them, therefore it must be the “truth.”